Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Askur has a grooming appointment tomorrow and we aren't even going to ask the groomer to salvage any length, the only thing to do is to shave. :mad:

Good news is being a yorkie it wont ruin the coat. Bad news is that well a dog should not be matted :mad:

We have tried soo hard, it happens so quickly, one minute he's fine then next he is one giant tangle. :confused:

Maybe we just aren't brushing him right, we towel dry him because he is terrified of the hair dryer, that could be it.

we're going to try changing his shampoo.

the strange thing is he is matting on the oddest of places, like on top of the bum/bottom of tail. The only place he doesn't get snow on or is covered with clothes :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
It's frustrating how easily it happens. Levi can get SO matted behind his ears. The hair is just so soft and fine. I cringe a little when I watch people roughly pet him behind his ears. I brush him every day to keep that under control, and even still, sometimes it's just a one big mat hidden underneath.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ideally, long haired dogs should be brushed at least a few times a week. Are you making sure he's brushed out before you wash him? If not, any mats he has will only get tighter through the washing/drying process. I know it's an added expense, but if you're not able to brush him to keep up with the mats, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take him to the groomer more frequently, say, for a bath and brushout monthly. I bathe for a groomer a couple times a week, and we frequently see dogs that are badly matted (except the top layer of the back, where the owners brush ;) ), but snow white because the owners have been washing the dog frequently at home, without getting the mats out first. She always directs people to brush first, and if there's a mat they can't brush out, to bring the dog in a she'll clip it out before they bathe.

Or, if owners can't/won't brush well enough at home to keep mats down and want to keep the coat, she'll recommend they come in on a schedule for whatever the dog needs at that time. Most of those people get a bit of a discount, because they're coming in every month, or 6 weeks, so they're usually in ok shape, and they're steady clients for her. Talk to your groomer and let them know you are trying, and see if they can help you. See if they'll show you what tools to use, and give a quick demo, then find out what sort of schedule they think he needs for grooming. If they won't help you, find someone else. If they do help you, groomers usually appreciate tips, and that's a nice way to thank them for their "extra" time.

Also, some sweaters will cause matting due to the friction between hair/fabric, does he mat even in the warmer months? If not, try only using the clothes minimally. Is he chewing that area? Or rubbing it on something? All of those things could potentially cause mats to form more quickly. There are dog detangler products, some of which I've heard are quite good, but I don't really know anything about them, as all my guys are short haired ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ugh! same with my pups! they go to the groomer twice a year for their shave! our groomer explained last time that although the brush isn't catching anything and it seems like our dogs are matt free they aren't because it's their undercoat that gets matted and our brush wasn't getting down to the undercoat.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
here is what i do with Jessie to keep her as matt free as possible:

Brush her before a bath(unless had a hair cut really short)
when it comes to drying her i put towel over her and squeeze the water out of all her body doesnt take long either.
Brush her right away i dont scrub up and down to dry her with towel or it matts the hair.
I also brush her few times a week to daily depends how long hair is
need a good comb take a few mins daily and i swear when i first got one i felt all these bumps go away!

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was literally in a week where he got to a stage of no return. We brushed him out completely and cut out any bad matts before christmas. Then after that big grooming session and bath we brushed him regularly. Then he went north with my mum and her husband to his parents. He went away in decent condition came back needing a complete shave. They took brushes and detangler with them.

It happens so quickly we are brushing him nightly but I don´t think we are doing it right.

The funny thing is that the matts are happening precisely where he usually does not have any clothes covering. Like the thighs, on top, then the top of his bum, bottom of tail. His tail is always super long, never has to have any matts cut out, same with his head and ears. However I have notice that those parts have different textured hair.

Its thicker and silkier when the body is more cotton like and matts immediately when its an inch long.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My cat gets matted (my dog has eyelash length hair) and the only way to keep them at bay is to use a flea comb once a week and a regular brush daily.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
My pekes need constant attention too... they mat easily behind ears, around collars, legs, and skirt.

IME it's best to use combs regularly. Brushes seem to just tackle the topcoat and don't get all the way down to the skin.

I comb 2x. First time starting at head and neck, combing bit by bit opposite direction of the fur causing the fur to flip up. I work al, the way down the dog to rear and legs. Then I comb a second time, bit by bit combing fur back into place and moving back up the dog to head and neck. Ensures I've combed fully, gotten most loose fur, and gotten close to skin.

Hopefully that makes sense?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
i start with a pin brush that has bristles on other side i brush upwards first then down i do this for all the body for the stomach i flip her on her back and brush it up and down. Then i get out a double sided comb one side comb is close togetehr nad the other is more space between i start with the more together side of the comb from neck to tail and flip her on her back and do tummy and chest i then decide to do the head.

Jessie HATES me doing her tail i even used the furminator on it recently which worked wonders as its more even and the dead hair is pulled out as well as few matts. rarely use furminator but use the double sided comb and the pin brush to brush her tail.

Jessie gets matts under arms, sanitary area(tiny ones) chest and if not careful by the ears. how old is askur?

Do you use conditioner after shampoo? do you also have a detangler spray? might pay to try one if not not sure if anti static spray would help or not?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Also @spotsonofbun have you tried small pair of scissors (round tipped) to shorten the length of the tail? for example i feel to where Jessies tails ends and cut near to that point and then when i see how long the hair is on the tail i trim it a bit shorter to try stop the matting and it seems to work. Will see if Jessie lets me get any pics to show you what i mean or if got any

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How often and what are you using to brush him? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.
The thing is he is the family dog and mainly my mums dog so Im not certain how often she does brush him as she is the one who does it the most. But I dont think its more than a day or two apart. He is cut really short at the moment I will upload a picture later. But when his hair was a an inch or two long it was very frequent but again im not sure just how thorough the brushing was :rolleyes:

Maybe I should start doing it daily myself. Also we need to start CC him to the hair dryer. We are consulting a trainer over some reactivity issues maybe she can give us some tips about the hair dryer too.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Samantha needs to be brushed and combed daily, or she mats badly. I use a slicker and a comb daily, plus a professional grooming every month. She is high maintenance, but so worth it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Naked mole rat. The tail is still fluffy and i really like what she did with the head. I love his silver colour. I will upload better pics of his head soon. He refuses to pose.

Attachments

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
awww look at askur! no wonder under covers with it being winter there. might need a jumper to keep him warm :) he looks good though! lovely coloring!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.