Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just need to rant. This by NO MEANS is meant for another heated discussion on bully breeds, BSL etc. I just need a place to vent because I've been struggling to find a condo listing in Vancouver that either allows 2 dogs or....2 dogs with no breed restrictions.

As some of you know, I have a pittie/staffy mix who is an adorable little monster. haha jk. She's an angel..most of the time!

What I can't understand is..you're spending almost $500,000 to OWN your own place and yet they have restrictions like 1 pet only, no dogs, 2 pets but no "vicious" breeds.

I was almost about to put an offer on a beautiful condo this morning when my realtor got me the strata minutes and I was going through the contract. Lo and behold...one section read:

"No vicious dogs are permitted in any strata lot or any portion of the common property. For the purposes of this bylaw a vicious dog means the following:
- any dog that has killed or injured a person or another animal while running at large
- any dog that aggressively harasses or pursues another person or animal while running at large
- any dog primarily owned or in part for the purpose of dog fighting or is trained for dog fighting or
- a Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or any dog mixed breeding which includes any of these breeds; or any dog which has the appearance and physical characteristics predominantly conforming to these standards for any of the above breeds, as established by the Canadian Kennel Club or the American Kennel Club or the United Kennel Club, as determined by a veterinarian licensed to practice in the Province of British Columbia."

What pisses me off is that my realtor SPECIFICALLY asked the listing agent if there were any breed restrictions and he said NO. We wouldn't even have considered this place if there was. UGH!!!!!

ok end rant.

I would like to note: I get why they have these restrictions. To protect the residents of the building and people passing through the area etc. Bully breeds have a tarnished reputation and its going to be an on-going battle trying to protect and defend them. It just sucks for pit bull owners that are trying their best to be the best advocates for the breed and being responsible with taking care of their dogs and we get shafted in scenarios like this.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You are understandably annoyed with the listing agent. For a property that costs a half a million, the agent gets a tidy sum when it is sold.
I think that the issue of pets is important and that listing agents should do a little work for their money and be able to correctly report any rules/exclusions having to do with pets. Thank goodness you read the rules yourself.
The restrictions may be a business decision having to do with the cost of insurance. While you do own your own condo, the condo association is responsible for, and liable for, the community areas. And liability in some cases may be decided by jurisdiction statute, meaning they could be on the hook for a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That's so frustrating!

It was hard enough finding a place to rent with a 6 lbs terrier, it must be a nightmare with two dogs :/

Do you have to live in the city for your job? Could you look outside of the city? It was easier for me to find pet friendly places in the towns surrounding Burlington rather than in the city itself.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Oh yeah, condo living in Canada... Fun stuff.

A while back there was a notice posted about 2 large vicious dogs in the condo complex, management was looking for them. I met them a couple of days later, 2 of the most gentle Golden Labs you'll ever want to meet. Some vicious they were.

Don't know what it's like in BC, but in this condo, people that live in the building sit on the board. Rules are made through complaints, and there's no shortage of them from what I hear. So quiet here, but I swear people must be hanging in their window like house plants.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@Lucille yeah I'm so glad I read it before we made an offer, my realtor was so pissed. Apparently its $150 for that strata document so listing agents won't purchase it unless they know there is an offer on the table. From now on my agent will have to contact the building mgr to confirm breed restrictions if the listing agent doesn't have the strata details.

Liabilities and cost insurance...that all makes sense.

@revolutionrocknroll ugh since I've been looking I haven't had a good nights sleep. At least I'm not in a huge rush to buy a condo but BC recently got a 15% foreign tax that's "supposedly" supposed to help our ridiculously high housing market so as soon as there's a dip in prices people are going to be scrambling to buy a place and I'm sure listings that allow 2 dogs (with or without with no breed restrictions) are going to have some competitive buyers. I work in the city so I would prefer to live within 30 mins of work. Right now it only takes 15-20 mins. Plus I don't want the dogs to be alone at home for more than 8-9 hours. Keiko is 13 this year and his bladder can't hold up as long as it used to. Right now I go home at lunch to let the dogs out and play with them for a bit so it would be nice to be able to do that from my new place.

@jagger Oh its no different here in BC too. People here are vocal and if they're not happy about something they will speak up. I saw one listing that was realllly nice and I asked about breed restrictions. The listing agent said "well, technically no....but I refuse to sell this place to someone with a pit bull. I know they have a bad reputation but I have grandchildren that come visit me and I will not have that breed in this building." She lives in the complex. She went on to say "And if you brought in a pit bull dog, I would have everyone in the building complain and have you move out". WTF is that even legal??? I dodged a bullet there, who would want to live in a complex with someone like that living there?? I wouldn't even been allowed to have friends over with their pitbulls. They would have to stay home (which is what she said too "why do they have to bring their pit bulls over? Tell them to leave the dogs at home!")

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
It's better to know now than be forced to sell. This condo is adults only, one couple got pregnant, they were forced to sell and move...

When Jagger first moved in, it was winter. Really cold, I'd take him out off leash so he could do his thing and get back inside when it's really cold. Next thing I know, letter in the mail threatening eviction of the dog. The dog is getting a warning of eviction if not kept on a leash.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah true...this has been a big learning experience for myself and my agent (who is also a friend so that helps, she understands my situation). Now we know just how diligent we have to be about the pet restrictions.

Wow...that is strict. That also worries me too..the type of people that live in the complex. I'm lucky that right now my rental building only has 8 units and we all know each other. Apparently we aren't allowed puppies in the building but all my neighbors love Mia and they haven't said a word to the building mgr. This one couple upstairs has a dog walking business but also takes in dogs when owners go on vacation. She's actually not allowed to keep them overnight but none of us say anything. We're all pretty easy going but it's rare in this city to have an entire building that's on the same page and there's also only 8 units lol. Its nice to be able to trust the tenants that live with you.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I understand where you are currently living is a rental building. But you know what they say, money talks. The building owners may be willing to sell you an apartment. Sure, there might be a lot of paperwork to structure the sale, but the people there seem pretty nice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am from Vancouver (I flip flop between Vancouver and Denver these days). My condo building in Kitsilano is pet friendly. I was a little surprised, considering the folks on the building council tend to be a little uptight, but I am really happy the building has allowed dogs (either one dog or one cat for each unit). They may allow two cats, not sure. Pets are becoming more important to people, especially with an aging population. Who would deny an elderly lady her little poodle? I'm really hoping city building rules will gradually change. My parents condo building in Richmond also allows pets.

As for breed bans in buildings - My Dad is on the building council for his Richmond condo and they basically copied another building's pet bylaw when creating their own pet bylaws, so that's how the ban on pitbulls in the building happened. :ponder:

I know the search is frustrating, I wish you luck in finding something. Would you be open with a townhouse, not a condo? There will be more relaxed rules for sure when compared to a condo, but you will get the benefit of shared maintenance like a condo.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's better to know now than be forced to sell. This condo is adults only, one couple got pregnant, they were forced to sell and move...

When Jagger first moved in, it was winter. Really cold, I'd take him out off leash so he could do his thing and get back inside when it's really cold. Next thing I know, letter in the mail threatening eviction of the dog. The dog is getting a warning of eviction if not kept on a leash.
Oh weird. I always think Canadians are supposed to be more easy-going about things, especially such small things like that. But I swear that there are some buildings where there the owners appoint themselves as "patrol officers" and report on the most trivial of things.

But on the contrary -- I was walking down a super popular path of a Vancouver beach today and was surprised at the number of dogs walking next to their owners OFF leash. I've never seen this in the US, especially in the busy city.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Lucille The owners of the building are actually selling the building in a couple of years, and to be honest the building isn't in very good shape haha

@Turtle11 There are a good number of listings for sale that do allow pets but usually only 1 dog or 1 cat. :( I'm also limited to Vancouver because Burnaby and Richmond have pit bull laws where the dog has to be muzzled in public.

Ugh, not impressed with that "copy and paste" thing. haha But that would make sense why other buildings would also have a ban on pit bulls!

I would love a townhome if it can fit my budget! I have found a couple of listings but it wasn't "mom" approved. lol My parents are giving me a bit of a money to help with my downpayment.

I just gotta keep searching and be patient!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.