Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rough Collie definitely is. She "purrs" when you pet her, especially when getting butt scratches. She "purrs" and rubs her body against furniture when she's happy. She does cute howls and barks. She whines rather than barks at people at the door. My MinPin mostly just barks and whines. :D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Very. Buster is VERY vocal. Likes to woowoowooooo at me at any given opportunity haha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nope! Brody is the quietest dog I've ever had. He hardly makes a peep, and when he does it's usually one single bark, and that's it. He is known to snore, bark, and howl in his sleep on occasion though!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine are pretty quiet. My Yorkie snores like an old man though. He really gets into sleeping. He snores, he drools, he wakes up with his hair a mess and he's stumbly. LOL The Morkie wakes up with bed head (or bed bod) but doesn't snore. They both bark up a storm if the door bell rings or they test the tornado sirens on Wednesdays.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Echo barks, howls, yips, yodels, bays, moans and warbles. Haha. She's actually not particularly loud, especially for a beagle, but she has quite the collection of sounds. When she wakes up in the morning, she stretches and makes all kinds of noises. She howls when she's upset, and warbles and howls if I talk to her a lot. She bays when strangers or new dogs come around, and yips when she's chasing a rabbit or squirrel or anything. Sometimes when I take my other dog to the barn(I live right by it) and not her, she'll do this super soft, mournful howl that almost sounds like the wind. Since she doesn't overdo it, it's very entertaining.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yep, Zody will bark. He barks at people passing by that he wants to try and scare off (we're working on that). He barks at people he loves and is trying to get the attention of, but he sounds like he's trying to scare them off. He'll bark because he's mad that I left him, thankfully it doesn't last long!

He will growl. Usually it's a play growl and he sounds like a demon possessed dog. Occasionally the growl is a warning to please stop.

Then there's the talking. Talking is random, extremely cute, sounds he makes when he wants me to do something for him. Today he was "asking" me to give him the very small piece of himalayan chew that I had to take from him. Uh, no, sorry, you'll bite it in half and swallow the pieces whole. He also asked me to please see what was under the bookcase and get it for him. Apparently a piece, one little piece, of his kibble had gotten pushed under there, and he needed to eat it before he starved, but couldn't reach it. I got it out for him and he quit talking. He'll also talk if he's trying to get me to play.

He'll sometimes sigh if he want's attention and I'm ignoring him.

He rarely cries, whimpers, or yelps. About the only times he'll do so is if he's in some type of pain.

Reactions: ColliesRock

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bandit will talk if he is playing with another dog or he has the zoomies in the yard. Its super cute and just because he can't contain his excitement, but I've had to stop frequenting the dog park because other owners see it as him becoming aggressive and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. He also howls at me if I won't pay attention to him, like when he tries to jump on me for attention and I ignore him until he sits he will jump up and wave his paws at me and howl, its pretty hard to keep ignoring him after that! The only other times he makes noise is when he starts up because he hears an unknown car or footsteps in the house (he's actually at the point where he can tell the difference between the footsteps of people who live with us and guests, because he never barks at people who live here anymore) and a small growl when me or Christian is too close to rolling over him.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Ours rarely does outside. Not at people or other dogs. Sometimes a single bark at a squirrel in a tree.

At home he does if my wife and I are having a conversation or watching television. But, if we sit out in the garden, he just stretches out under the table.

We're working on the indoor barking. There are times when we can work out what he wants by the type of bark like time for breakfast or dinner or the need to relieve himself.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Other than normal territorial protection barks, Samantha, when excited to see someone special, will seemingly try so hard to talk. She makes all kinds of squeaking, grunts & other assorted sounds.she is so amusing to watch. There are only a special few people she reacts this way to. Her sounds are accompanied by her dancing, sometimes on her back legs. She is just so happy, its very amusing to watch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ranger talks constantly and has even as a puppy. He has an opinion on EVERYTHING. Not much barking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mina, my Jack Russell Terrier, has ALWAYS been vocal. She growls a lot, and it's really something you have to get used to, because it's not an aggressive growl, it's just how she talks. LOL But she's gotten even more vocal now that she's an old lady. She grunts quite a bit. Sometime when she's simply waking up from a nap, and other times when she's going in circles a billion times, trying to get the blanket fixed for her to sleep on. LOL She's always been yappy too, but she barks less now that her hearing isn't what it used to be. She used to bark every time she'd go outside, just for the heck of it, but now she rarely does.

Lola, my Pit/Lab mix, seems to be less vocal. She rarely barks at anything. Though I have finally managed to teach her to speak! Sometimes when I'm talking to her, she'll try to talk back, through grunts, growls and sneezes. She whines some too. But compared to Mina, she's definitely more quiet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
my Baloo is very vocal. I was warned when I got him that Pekingese is know for grunting and snorting.
Luckily I find it adorable that he talks non stop. it sounds like he is saying "ggghooo gggghooo" And he does it whenever he wants to communicate anything to me: "pick me up"
"my ball is stuck under the table"
"I want in -he does this when Im in the bath, he loooves water-"
when he runs around with one of his toys he snorts at it the whole time and make little growling sounds. When he is really really excited he will talk and dance. He gets on his hind legs and jumps while pawing the air with the front legs and do body twisties. We have a game we play where I put my nose on his nose and say "you've got no nose, who stole your nose?!" then he will give me two "ggghooo ggghooo's" and nibble my nose. Lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.