Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're pretty sure Burly is half Beagle and half JRT, but having a wisdom panel done might be fun. I've read about success stories and horror stories - overall, what do you guys think? Were you happy with your results? Did they change anything about the way you cared for your dog (as in diet, exercise or mental stimulation based on breed recommendations ?) Or did you think it was a waste of money? What companies do you trust more? Were they blood tests done by the vet, or saliva tests? (Sorry I have so many questions, and thank you in advance!)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
It might be because I have purebred dogs, but I personally would not waste my money on one. :) The breed list is pretty meh, and it's not something I'd do if I ever adopted a mixed breed.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I would absolutely do one again. It was interesting to find out what she was and it helped understand a lot of behaviors. In our case I believe it delivered very accurate results.

We knew what Nyla's mom was (Siberian Husky) but did not know the dad, or anything else she might be mixed with. She came back 50% Siberian Husky and 50% Labrador Retriever. I can now look at her behaviors and know why she does them. We gear her play time with her breeds in mind (she loves swimming, running and fetch) and I watch her diet accordingly.

It took me a good 2 months to decide to go through with it and "waste" my money on one. I doubted it because of some negative results, etc but I do not regret doing it at all. I can't explain why some come out wrong but I know ours wasn't. I would recommend it to anyone just because it's fun to know what makes up your "baby".

Wisdom panel was done by 2 cheek swabs. They recommend the dog not have contact with anything for atleast 2 hours so right after a nap is great. I did it while she was half asleep and had not drank water, ate anything, played with toys or licked us etc for atleast 2 hours before. You let them dry for a minute, put them in the package and mail it off. There's a form you fill out that go with the results and you can also register your kit online so they can email you the results. The instructions in the kit are very clear and easy to follow. One tip- when you open the swab, don't open it all the way as you'll have to place it back in there after and leave it half open. You'll see what I mean if you do it.

We used Wisdom Panel mixed breed DNA test bought at the petstore. If you'd like to read the full story of Nyla's results you can go here; http://www.dogforum.com/dog-breeds/wisdom-panel-results-nyla-26927/

If you have any questions, let me know.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
You'll get mixed opinions. Personally, I thought it was worth the money (I've spent way more than $50 for vet bills and training), but you have to take it as entertainment vs. fact. I think my dog's was spot-on, but we've had a few members get some really...improbable results. Here is Coconut's:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I guess it depends on what you see as a waste of money or not. I think it's very interesting when members have their wisdom panels done on her. From what I've seen on here, most of them are accurate and then you have the exceptions. But if you aren't satisfied with the results you can always contact them. I believe they have a money back guarantee.

I have a saving jar for Guinness's wisdom panel.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Widsom Panel came out pretty accurate. Like Nylanat, I already know Miley's father is a Siberian Husky. Her mother was an Ausralian Cattle Dog mix.. After I received my results, I found her mother's picture and it was just as suspected!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I'm not convinced Remy's are accurate, but it was fun to see. I believe her father was a purebred German Shepherd and her mom was half German Shepherd, and the rest something like a Lab/Rottie mix. I know the mother personally, so I feel confident saying that.

I'm glad that the Wisdom Panel at least picked up the German Shepherd! Otherwise I would have been mad. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I think I read on one of the threads, that Champions were tested by the wisdom panel project, and they came back as x's, and these were Champions, don't remember the breed off the top of my head.

But if you should want to do it, I see no harm, and it can be fun to see what they think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, and Nylancat, those are some absolutely excellent tips. I think I might take the approach of Kat and Guinness, and start a savings jar.

I realized I have yet to post any pictures of Burly on the forums, so maybe you guys can serve as my "Wisdom Panel" before we get it done. Are we right in thinking he's a Beagle/JRT?

(For the record, he loved that toy so much that it only lasted 2 days. So I'm glad I took pictures.)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I was kinda tempted with my Rotty,sense I`m not sure but he may mixed blood in him.
I would want the test to have certain breeds that are possible though. Doberman and Labradors are easy, but not American Pit Bull Terriers,American Bulldogs,and not always Staffies either.

So I started getting annoyed,and I need to save up more money so I don't think I`ll bother.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I kind of wish we hadn't wasted our money on it to test Rhea. It came out one side as just "mixed breed" and the other Aussie/ Yorkie mix. The aussie I see, since when we got her we were actually told she was a PB aussie, but we've doubted it since she looks more like a Border collie. The yorkie, that made me laugh. When I contacted the customer service, the told me they couldn't determine the parentage if the grandparents weren't purebred. Also, they can't "guarentee" and accurate outcome because they just use a minimal percentage of the dna and match it with something that looks "similar". It's fun, but usually not accurate unless you know the parents were purebred, or the grandparents were.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was very happy with it. I thought my dog was a complete mutt but I found out otherwise! 3 pure breeds :) I saw all those breeds in her now. It defenatly changed a lot. Now I have herding sessions with her and know how to train her for real, she is behaving much better and now I understand why she does much of what she does. Her diet has improved now as well and now I know what medical conditions to look out for!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have mixed feelings about our Wisdom Panel (just posted a thread about it above). I almost wish we hadn't done it but it was fun to see the results. I have NO CLUE if they're accurate. My Bowser came out a Cocker, Rottie, AmStaff mix... the Cocker part I don't see. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts