Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got an 8-9 month old mixed breed dog from the shelter. She was about 30 when we got her a little over a week ago. She is now over 34 pounds. She didn't seem really thin when we got here but will eat just about anything we give her. We have been feeding her 1 1/2 cups puppy chow twice a day. Do you think it's too much? How do we know how much? I swear she would eat 5 times that amount if we let her. I know she's a puppy and growing BUT it seems like a lot of weight in one week. She wasn't really super thin when we got her.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks perfect :thumbsup: If she's only 8 months, the weight gain is from growth. Depending on adult size, dogs can usually grow up to 2yrs old. And if she has been spayed, expect her to be taller, because the growth plates close later if a dog is altered before the first heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks good!!

If you can feel rib and/or see rib, she's a good weight. If you can see spine and hip bones, she's underweight. If you can't feel rib, she's overweight.

Thats how I always check if my dog is overweight, underweight or correct weight.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She looks good, but I would not want to have her gain anymore weight in fat, muscle or growth yep I'd want her to gain weight but just not in fat. I'd cut her back by around 1/2 a cup and see if she maintains the weight. I'd weigh her at the beginning of the week, feed her the 2 1/2 cups of food for a week and then reweigh her at the end of the week. If she maintains the weight then keep feeding her that amount, if she gains or loses a pound keep feeding her it, if she's still gaining 4 lbs in a week cut it back by maybe 1/4 a cup, and if she looses more then a pound or two up the food by 1/4 cup.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A one week record is not something to base decisions on. As human dieters know, water weight variations can alter weight significantly.
Denver's rib check seems for now a good way to check, but weight records over the course of more time will be helpful in showing any trends. As BlueIceBeagles pointed out, at 8 months she is still growing so some wait gain is expected. Based on her size/frame there are online charts that will help show expected weight gain from puppy to full grown dog.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First of all, your little girl is adorable and looking just fine! She looks like she's part lab and labs are EATERS. They loooooooove food and it's easy for them to become overweight, because of it. My dog Tank is about 50-60 lbs and is 8 months old and I feed him about 3 and 1/2 cups a day. His appetite has slowed down somewhat since he was younger, but vet says he's super healthy. I think 3 cups is fine for her. She's getting older, so her nutritional needs will change depending on her age and weight. You don't want to put too much weight on her while she's growing, because it can put too much pressure on her still developing joints. You can give her treats in between meals, but keep them low cal. It should only account for 10% of her diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts