Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good puppy gate. I've seen friends' dogs push through their gates and I don't want holes in my walls... What should I look for? I'm not sure of my price range yet. Does anyone have advice for features I should avoid while I'm looking? Or things that have worked well for you? I think a lot of people just use baby gates from walmart but most of the ones I've seen are flimsy and hard to open.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 60lb male labrador mix. He's not the sort to try to push it down, but he's so exuberant and big that a flimsy one won't work.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My only suggestion is to invest in one that lasts; they are so, so handy even for a fully housebroken dog. If he has the propensity to jump go as high as you can. My family found a wooden one in the sears furniture department I believe and although the box is long gone it is a lot more pleasing to look at than a baby gate, which is perfect because 10 years down the road we are still using it to keep our dog out of the guest bedroom (he loves to unmake beds and tuck himself in, haha).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I was going to suggest one that I bought at Petsmart, but I'm not sure it would hold up to a 60lb dog jumping up on it. It's Top Paw brand with extended height and an easy to open gate (for humans at least).

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
If you're interested in a freestanding gate, I'd strongly rec the Richell Deluxe with adjustable side panels. I love it--good quality, very adjustable, nice looking. Two of my dogs figured out how to open it, but I just a quick release buckle if I need to lock it. Easy to travel with, as well.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Is he a jumper? If so you are going to need one of the ones that are high. My old female dog jump a 3 ft baby gate with no problem.

If you think he might jump against it then I advise against getting a pressure mounted one but get one that screws into the wall.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Here is a site that has different styles of gates:
I have a metal walk through gate but would have loved to get one with the cat door in it! I buy my gates at rummage sales and garage sales and get lucky with some good quality stuff! And it's fun too!

Gates & Doors : Dog Gates | Hayneedle.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts