Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what do people think about the meaning behind grass eating. Do dogs eat grass because they like it or do they eat it to induce vomiting and etc. Cause for my dog she doesn't eat grass at all but when she is getting sick or is sick she starts eating grass and leafs. Her eating grass is a big indicator that she is sick and I need to have a closer eye on her. But I have friends with dog that just eat grass because they like it, ever now and then I would just see them mowing the yard with their mouths.
What about your dog's? are there meaning behind them eating the grass or they just enjoy it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. 2 of mine eat grass very consistently, for no reason. Chess will start eating it like its going out of style though when her IBD acts up and she's not feeling good. She doesn't throw up though.

Echo mostly only eats grass if her belly hurts and she needs to throw up.

On occasion, all 3 of mine will be grazing away like I've got a herd of horses lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Chester eats grass a lot.. but when he obsessively eats it I know he is sick. He does often a little grazing here and a little grazing there. When he is sick he will do anything to get to grass and start eating it like crazy.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Mine eat different grass for different reasons. They eat the tall spring and summer grass for pleasure I think I read that it was the chlorophyll in it they like. I call it doggie salad. The regular grass and dandelions are eaten because they help purge the stomach.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some do it for upset stomach, some for pleasure, and some for missing nutrients that they aren't getting it the food you feed them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.