Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pet Obesity: Large dogs vs small dog breeds
Looking to know everyone's thoughts on this title.

·
Super Moderator
1,826 Posts
I think any dog can become obese if it has too much food and/or not enough exercise. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
576 Posts
There are breeds more prone to obesity than others ( labradors and beagles among others) but the fact is that any dog given too much food, too little exercise or both , will get fat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think any dog can become obese if it has too much food and/or not enough exercise. Why do you ask?
I'm just thinking to create a model for all the pet parents to maintain the standard weight for their breeds using AI. What's your thought?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are breeds more prone to obesity than others ( labradors and beagles among others) but the fact is that any dog given too much food, too little exercise or both , will get fat.
Got it. Thanks for your thoughts, Mad.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm just thinking to create a model for all the pet parents to maintain the standard weight for their breeds using AI. What's your thought?
That’s really interesting and great since obesity in dogs is a really big issue. However I wonder if it’s not easier to teach the owners about proper exercise and the dangers of obesity. As well as what obesity look like. Many owners doesn’t even realize that their dog is extremely overweight.

What’s difficult is that weight can vary so much within the breed and a heavier dog might be more fit due to muscles not fat. It’s more about the body shape and condition than the actual weight. Hence it would be difficult to determine if a weight is healthy or unhealthy just by numbers.

Maybe you’re able to collect data from lots of fit and healthy dogs to get some sort of average view on what the measurements for the waist should be in correlation to their size. Or something similar. But I will say that I really think it’s about getting owners to understand when their dog is overweight and the danger and harm it causes.

Many people wouldn’t even think that the body condition score 7 or even 8 on this chart, is obesity.
2776D6A1-A5EF-4E61-981D-22270C401E96.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s really interesting and great since obesity in dogs is a really big issue. However I wonder if it’s not easier to teach the owners about proper exercise and the dangers of obesity. As well as what obesity look like. Many owners doesn’t even realize that their dog is extremely overweight.

What’s difficult is that weight can vary so much within the breed and a heavier dog might be more fit due to muscles not fat. It’s more about the body shape and condition than the actual weight. Hence it would be difficult to determine if a weight is healthy or unhealthy just by numbers.

Maybe you’re able to collect data from lots of fit and healthy dogs to get some sort of average view on what the measurements for the waist should be in correlation to their size. Or something similar. But I will say that I really think it’s about getting owners to understand when their dog is overweight and the danger and harm it causes.

Many people wouldn’t even think that the body condition score 7 or even 8 on this chart, is obesity.
View attachment 247550
It's really informative. Thanks for taking the time to share this information with me. If you have any other sources to learn more, please share it. Thanks!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts