Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is more of a discussion than a question, but whatever.
so i know that with most pet owners, putting the pets name on the ID tag is usually the top priority, its seen as a harmless little feature. although now we know that there are cons to putting the pets name (the possibility of a dognapper using it to call your dog over etc.), i was thinking, is there even a real reason to put the pets name on it? in my opinion, its useless and only takes up room for something more useful, like a backup phone number or the owners name.

i mean, the only reason we have identification tags is so if the pet gets lost, we can have information on who the pet belongs to and return them. i don't see how them knowing the pet's name plays into returning them home. the only reason i can think of is to use it to verify that someone who claims to be the owner is being honest, but that could be avoided with putting your name on it instead.
does anyone else have thoughts on this? i'd be interested to know! :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
(the possibility of a dognapper using it to call your dog over etc.)
How big is your dogs tag? One almost needs glasses to read ours. His name is on the front, ours and phone numbers on the back. And it's behind the rabies tag. If it's the difference between having a phone call that someone has the dog, or having to be frantically calling vets and pounds, I'll take the risk any day. GF's old farm dog decided to run off to chase squirrels at a local park, we were frantic. 10 minutes later the phone rang "Are you missing a dog named...". YES!!! Where is she? In the parking lot.

Nothing worse to me than finding a lost dog that you know has a home somewhere, and having to call the pound to pick them up.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Totally owner choice about whether or not to put the dog's name on a tag. Important part is owner phone number. :)

There seems to be an increasing number of people concerned about dog names on tags, reasoning like you said a dognapper calling the dog. But honestly I think that's highly unlikely. Most tags require a person to be very close or even touching the tag to read it. Too late at that point anyway.;)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would rather just have my name and a couple of phone numbers and area on the tag than the dogs name, then I can use it on any of my dogs. Don't see any reason to have the dog's name on the tag.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dognapping is not a popular career in my country so I`m not very concerned about it.

I will always put her name on the tag because I imagine if something bad would happen and she would get lost then it would help her calm down when strangers used her name.

·
Registered
406 Posts
...There seems to be an increasing number of people concerned about dog names on tags, reasoning like you said a dognapper calling the dog. But honestly I think that's highly unlikely. Most tags require a person to be very close or even touching the tag to read it. Too late at that point anyway.;)
It wouldn't be so hard for them to "prove" the dog was theirs, tho, by knowing its name.

I would rather just have my name and a couple of phone numbers and area on the tag than the dogs name, then I can use it on any of my dogs. Don't see any reason to have the dog's name on the tag.
Caleb & Mickey's tags had our names and address and phone number. Owen & Takoda's just have our names and cell numbers.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I'm not sure why there would be an increased concern in a dog napper being able to call a dog over to it with it's name.

Most friendly dogs will still come no matter what you call them, as long as you are talking to them in a happy voice, using familiar words like the word "come" or "here", and using familiar gestures like patting your leg or stretching out a hand. A more suspicious dog probably won't come to a stranger even if he was calling it's name.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
It wouldn't be so hard for them to "prove" the dog was theirs, tho, by knowing its name.
Idk... If a dog is microchipped (utd and in owners name), vet records, a lost/stolen dog report, etc. and a stolen dog is found, the owner should be able to pretty easily prove ownership even if the person who stole the dog knows the name...

That said if someone really wants to steal or keep a found dog, they'll do it name or no name... Name isn't going to make a difference. In many places you can just go get a licence to prove ownership, dog unseen. Name won't matter a bit. They can use the name or a different one. And honestly a name change is very likely for stolen dogs as is getting the dog out of the immediate area.

Fortunately there really aren't that many dognappers. And with some form of visable id, most dogs are returned. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Kris is the only dog I have that is microchipped so she has that tag on her collar plus the tattoo in her ear from when she was spayed and a tag from our Vet so I have not bought another tag for her but really should.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't quite understand having the address on the tag but then again I was raised to never give out your address unless you have to. I think it's a good thing because I've moved a lot lately...also I don't know why would you need your own name on the tag? Rather save the room for an additional phone number or "microchipped"

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think it's completely personal preference. I don't really get the concern over the dog's name being on the tag, though. It takes a lot more than knowing a dog's name to prove ownership, otherwise I'd own every dog in my neighborhood. ;)

I don't think it's critical to have it on, but I don't see a downside to having it on, either. The tags I use either have room for 3-4 lines so it's not really wasting real estate, or they're so tiny that they only have room for one phone number anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We opted away from their names for similar reasons. Our tags allow for 3 lines only, so we have our home phone and each of our mobile numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts