Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a chocolate lab puppy about four weeks ago, I have a 7 year old black lab as well. My older lab has had bad experiences with other smaller dogs so I don't know if it will get better when she get bigger. Lately the puppy is jumping up on the older one, and teeth are bared and growling. She doesn't hurt her since there isn't any yelping, I just need to know if it's playing or aggressive so I can stop it early. If it is aggressive how do I stop it? Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like it could be a mix of the two. Dogs can become uncomfortable with baby animals because they know they shouldn't hurt them but also don't always want to play with them. They feel as though they shouldn't touch a baby animal that belongs to "another mother". The puppy is innocently playing and the adult dog sounds like it is warning the puppy to stay away (not aggression, just a warning). In this case, if the adult dog is not snapping or anything like that, then you should let it have its space and distract the puppy with a toy. Once they get older the two should sort out their differences and become best friends.

Hope it all works out! Best of luck! : )

·
Registered
501 Posts
One of the best tell tail signs between playing and aggression...are they pausing? even for just a moment then going back at it? If so, most likely play. If they can take a break they are not over stimulated and in control.

Roughhousing is party of puppy play. As long as one is not looking for an escape and they are in control of themselves...let them have at it!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How old is the puppy? Usually a fully grown adult dog will have no problem overpowering a puppy of the same breed. If she's letting it happen, it's because she doesn't mind. As an instinct most adults are very tolerant of rambunctious puppies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts