Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that we should stay away from flea collars. That they can be really bad for the animals, cause chemical burns and don't work very well.

But I see quite a few people use the Seresto kind.

Is it safe to use? Would you recommend it?

I have two dogs. One is a 10lb chi mix that has very very thin fur.
My other dog is a wooly (long haired) husky. I worry that a flea collar wouldn't even work with all his fur! lol

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
My cat currently wears a Seresto collar because, right now, he's indoor/outdoor and I don't want him to fall ill, particularly with tick borne disease.

My vet told me that it was safe, effective, and highly rated. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it.

Once I move in January and my cat becomes indoor-only I'll likely use Frontline or something else "just in case" he comes into contact with fleas/ticks but the collar just won't really be necessary anymore.

I was always one to hate flea collars too, for the record.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Older style flea collars were relatively ineffective and had the potential to cause serious reactions.

Newer collars like Seresto and Preventic are different and I know a number of people who have used them successfully. Of course there is still the potential for a reaction, but that's true of anything - even so-called chemical-free and natural preventives.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

I have heard Seresto is good, but I personally don't use any chemical related anything. Chemical burns do happen, plus all the toxins the skin is absorbing... For me, it's wondercide spray only.
I looked at the spray but it is just for the house yard not for the dogs themselves?

It looks like it is way outside my price range in that case. I have a large house and they also go other places then just my yard so I don't think that would work.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I looked at the spray but it is just for the house yard not for the dogs themselves?

It looks like it is way outside my price range in that case. I have a large house and they also go other places then just my yard so I don't think that would work.
No they have spray bottles for pets as well. We get the 30 oz size bottles.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Aspen has worn a Soresto collar for the last year with no ill side effects and wonderful results. She didn't have a single tick on her all summer- even when hiking in thick woods.
Seresto collars seem to have a much better reputation than older flea type collars especially the cheapies you could buy from the grocery store.
Ticks, on the other hand, have a reputation that has gotten steadily worse with increased understanding of some of the diseases they carry.

People who are 'anti chemical' without exploring the particulars of the chemical in question, don't seem to realize that a) everything is made of chemicals and b) some of the most toxic substances known are 'natural'.
To those people I say that the time to 'do your homework' is time well spent, research the particular chemical.
It isn't difficult. I'm a senior and when I was young and had to research, I had to walk to the public library. You have the internet at your fingertips, and your dog is worth the effort.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Do you not want to use an oral or liquid flea and tick prevention? I have a ten pound Yorkie and a four pound Morkie and they both use NexGuard with really good success.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Seresto collars seem to have a much better reputation than older flea type collars especially the cheapies you could buy from the grocery store.
Ticks, on the other hand, have a reputation that has gotten steadily worse with increased understanding of some of the diseases they carry.

People who are 'anti chemical' without exploring the particulars of the chemical in question, don't seem to realize that a) everything is made of chemicals and b) some of the most toxic substances known are 'natural'.
To those people I say that the time to 'do your homework' is time well spent, research the particular chemical.
It isn't difficult. I'm a senior and when I was young and had to research, I had to walk to the public library. You have the internet at your fingertips, and your dog is worth the effort.
Exactly. Which is why I went with the wondercide.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would you wear a poison necklace.
That's nothing but fearmongering. Chemical sprays are sometimes necessary for humans in insect infested areas, so yes, I would rather use small amounts of chemicals than take my chances with the diseases and parasites that can be caught from insects such as fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I give my dogs heartworm medication for the same reason. It is a poison, but rather that in minute amounts than the alternative.

To shun slight amounts of chemicals in favor of taking chances with disease seems to be going backwards. Dogs (and humans) once had secondary illnesses from these parasites in droves, and fleas alone can transmit tapeworms, cause anemia, dermatitis, and rickettsiosis infections in dogs & humans.

To the OP: Yes, flea collars are fine, but like any treatment, it all depends on the brand. They contain the same chemicals as a spot on treatment would, and I've always used them to good effect, though I don't use them very often. If there is a reaction, they can be taken off immediately, and used temporarily such as if you are planning to walk a dog in the woods. If you have an infestation, though, topical treatments are probably better.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's nothing but fearmongering.
Fearing 'chemicals' is not an appropriate response, but saying that chemical risk is always acceptable because the chemical addresses a valid need is also not an appropriate response.
Again, one needs to research each product, each chemical. A very basic search will show that indeed some of the flea collars on the market may have unacceptable risk, some of the risk may extend to children. All flea collars are not the same and some appear to be not OK, and the harm from the not OK ones may be insidious and not easily observed.
http://pets.thenest.com/dog-flea-collars-dangerous-humans-5440.html

Do your homework. Research. Then decide.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree, the new collars are much safer and more effective. Anything has the potential to cause a bad reaction, natural or not. I've heard really good things about the Seresto.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you not want to use an oral or liquid flea and tick prevention? I have a ten pound Yorkie and a four pound Morkie and they both use NexGuard with really good success.
Well the collars are cheaper overall. But I have used several different types of flea meds and sometimes they just don't work that well. It seems hit or miss.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have not seen too much damage from flea collars over the years, but until the Preventic an Seresto collars came out, they all seemed pretty worthless, stinky and moderately toxic. Fleas could often be found crawling all over the old flea collars... but these newer ones, particularly Seresto (Preventic is for ticks specifically and for dogs ONLY), are excellent, far safer and way more effective. So as already mentioned above, most negative comments about pesticide collars refer to those that have been offered/sold over the last 30 years, not to the newer ones.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bandit has the Seresto collar and been doing absolutely wonderful with it, he has some bad skin allergies so I was nervous at first but he had a really bad reaction to the Trifexus pill so I wanted to try something I could get off of him quickly if he had a reaction.

Everyone in the salon I work at uses Seresto on their animals, at last count that's about 20 pets and so far only one cat had a reaction, it was mild, but she did have to switch to something different.

I would recommend Seresto, but keep an eye for the first few weeks and I always keep it loose on Bandit so if it starts bugging him he can slip it off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was recommended Seresto by a friend who works at a dog rescue/adoption place, and my dog unfortunately had a bad reaction to it. I am not sure if he was allergic to the pesticide on the collar or if it was too strong for him, but his ears flared up and he had some erratic behavior. It all stopped as soon as I took the collar off of him.

Upon closer inspection of the Seresto package, it does state that dogs who wear the collar should not sleep in the same bed as humans, which makes me a little uneasy. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with something that strong being on my dog when I am in such close contact with him.

I'm not an expert on these things and I don't claim to be, but my flea collar experience was less than stellar. I use NexGard chewable tablets now and haven't had a problem with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts