Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My border collie never has a bad smell. I can put my nose right onto his fur and there is absolutely no foul odor, and our home has never "smelled like dog".
I know 'doggie smells' can be associated with poor nutrition and too much bathing, but is it breed specific, too?
It seems that all of the labs I've met have a particularly strong odor, and my sister's muts smell bad, too. But neither of the border collies I have owned have smelled at all.
The reason I ask is because I might take in a German Shepherd/Akita mix, but I'm worried about dealing with doggy odor in my house, I just don't want to get a dog that might stink the place up. Sorry if that sounds bad... but I'm just really sensitive to smells and I've always owned border collies that have never smelled...
Does anyone know if this mix might have a bit of an odor, or have any words of wisdom on the matter?
Thanks!

·
Banned
472 Posts
As a groomer, I have found some breeds definitely tend to get stinkier than others! Scent hounds- Bassets, Beagles, Coonhounds, etc.- in particular seem to get stinky and greasy in no time flat! I find a lot of Cocker Spaniels tend to be stinky too, usually due to the allergies and ear infections the breed is so prone to.

Any dog who has allergies tends to be stinky, regardless of breed. There is this particular aroma a lot of allergy dogs seem to get. Kind of like rotten corn chips.

I wouldn't worry about a GSD/Akita mix being particularly stinky. Regular bathing and brushing will keep any smell to a minimum anyway.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't know of dog smells are necessarily "breed" specific, but I know hounds (or I should say, scent hounds like beagles, coonhounds, bassets etc) have a distinct hound odor. Personally I don't find it unpleasant but it is definitely noticeable. I guess some people would be turned off by it but I don't think it is too overbearing. Maybe other groups have this too to some extent?

Reactions: Jarudi

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I think it's more so upkeep of specific breeds and activities they do.

Dogs with wrinkles and skin folds usually have a smell. Large droopy eared dogs have a smell. Dogs with beards (gets in their food and water).

Reactions: Jarudi

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know, but from my own experience, I have got smelly hands from petting Golden Retrievers and Labs. Also Staffys, and Spaniels. A Dalmatian the other day gave me smelly hands. But I have heard that Hungarian Vizslas have a very light smell (gorgeous dogs! but needing a lot of exercise and interaction!) I had a small Vizsla cross (mutt really) and she smelt sweet and clean even when she needed a bath! I also never got a heavy doggy smell from Border Collies, true.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Of the dogs I have been around the cocker spaniels seem to have quite the doggy odor especially when wet. I have a bichon and yorkie mix and the only smell I have noticed is when my bichon needs a bath her paws stink like doritios.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My Newfie has a distinct smell as they have oily waterproof fur, but it is not a bad smell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read somewhere that dogs bred for water (retrievers, spaniels) are stinkier than most because they produce oils to protect their skin from cold water temps. These dogs can (and should) be bathed regularly.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The Newfie I had had a stronger scent,almost like he held onto that wet dog smell for longer. Just a more oily coat and he was also prone to ear infections.

While My Rott just has that basic frito-dirt smell,barely even noticeable if you stuff your nose in his fur.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The only breeds I've met that pretty much all constantly stink to some level are labs, pugs/anything with wrinkles, and bassets.
I've found that smell is stronger in males, particularly intact ones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. Most labs I've been around have the same smell. I owned 3 pugs and they had a smell, not bad though. I have 5 rough collies, none of them smell at all and the house doesn't smell of dog (except rainy days!).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mia smells more than Summer does. It's also a lot sharper/more sour of a smell? I'm really bad at describing it but it's just different. Mia has a very distinct scent. Summer doesn't smell unless she rolls in poop (which she does a lot sadly).

The worst smelling dog I've ever smelled was a husky. It reeked but I don't know if it had never been bathed or what... you could smell that thing 5+ feet away. And of course it rubbed on my jeans so the rest of the day I had to smell it. Awful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think most dogs that stink just need to be bathed more often. The only dogs I've met that smelt bad did not get baths very often. My dog doesn't have the strong "hound odor" that people talk about. I bathe him once every couple weeks and bush him daily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts