Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently bought a flea collar for my year old Miniature Schnauzer and from my searches on the internet, it seems that flea collars do more harm than good. The active ingredient is propoxur (10%) and flumethrine (2.25%), according to the box it came with. I haven't clipped it on my dog yet to err on the cautious side but would it be harmful for him?

Some suggestions on safer ways to get rid of fleas would be helpful too, please. This flea problem has been going on for months.

Thank you,
Cher

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've never had an adverse reaction to them in all my dogs that had them, they just don't work. In my experience, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
My dogs wear Seresto collars that guard against fleas and ticks. I really like them, but I wouldn't personally trust really any other "flea collar."

You'll have to treat your house and yard for the fleas, and then you'll have to vacuum daily for awhile. They're not just on your dog, they're probably everywhere.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don’t like flea collars. Especially if you have other pets in the house or children. If your dog plays with another dog and they get that in their mouth it can make them sick, same for children who might touch the collar when petting a dog. I use nextgard, it’s a beef chew you give once a month and it has worked well for my dogs.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Flea collars today are better, then they were years ago. Many years ago, we had a cat, and kept a flea collar on him. I am convinced that contributed to his kidney failure and death, but that was over 30 years ago. I use Frontline + for flea control for our dog today, but avoid using it during the winter months. Seems to work for us, but having said that, I frankly wish putting chemicals into her system was not necessary, but the reality of, if we don't she will have fleas keeps us doing that for her. We tried Nexgard, she had a bad reaction to that, and to tryflexis, so we stay with the frontline + and heartgard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You tried Nexgaurd on your cat? It is only suppose to be used for dogs. Unfortunately the only flea medication that they have for cats is either a flea collar or topical flea medication

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
You tried Nexgaurd on your cat? It is only suppose to be used for dogs. Unfortunately the only flea medication that they have for cats is either a flea collar or topical flea medication
Laco is referring to using NexGard on his dog.

I've been using it for my dog Zody for around a year now and so far so good. I used to use a topical but it got to the point that I was having to use the stealth approach to put it on him. I'd have to get the vial out while he was not watching, open it up, set it aside, and then go get him. If I did not do it that way he'd run and hide. I never figured out if he hated the smell, the feel of an oil slick forming from the top of his neck to his shoulder blades, or if he was having some sort of reaction to it that I didn't notice.

dextertheschnauzer, what brand of flea collar did you get? I've heard good things about the Seresto collar, but all the other ones that I know of do not work. I'd recommend you go with either a topical or oral flea preventative, and once you have the fleas under control then, if you still want to try a flea collar, stop whatever oral or topical preventative you have him on and switch to a Seresto collar and see if it works for him.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
non-toxic & effective Tx & prevention

Some suggestions on safer ways to get rid of fleas would be helpful too, please. This flea problem has been going on for months.

hi, Cher. :)

here's a single post with lots of info on non-toxic flea killing, which mostly involves the environment, not the dog -

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-grooming/my-german-shepard-wont-stop-being-333402/#post3420242

Fleas drop their eggs into any dark crevice - floor seams, between the pile of carpet, edges of furniture cushions...
so a powerful vacuum with a HEPA filter is Ur best friend. :eek: Don't give up - & if there's a yard connected to the house, consider "seeding" it with flea-killing predatory nematodes.

https://www.amazon.com/Million-Live-Beneficial-Nematodes-Exterminator/dp/B007XFHAR6

- terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts