Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 7/8 mo old puppy and i personally believe he has allergies.

I have treated him for mange for a few months now. He's taken cephalexin and hes on advantage multi every 2 weeks. hair loss on his back legs and itchy feet. he also has hair loss around his eyes. his back and neck area are beautiful and shiny, but the legs are the itchy parts.

My question is..would cephalexin and advantage multi be enough to treat and get rid of mange? the vet suggested all of these things and said he is positive it is allergies, but i honestly dont think we can rule out mange because im not sure cephalexin & the advantage multi could completely eliminate mange.

thoughts?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
If you want to know if he has mange, you need to get someone good to do a skin scraping. That is the definitive test, although false negatives are common, which is why you want someone good doing it. I'd get that skin scraping soon.

To check for allergies, I'd suggest putting the dog on a hypoallergenic diet, one of the hydrolyzed protein Rx kibbles, for 6 to 8 weeks and see if symptoms go away. (do not give the dog ANY other food, not even treats, or you defeat the purpose of the food trial.) If the symptoms subside, then you know what is going on. Then you could gradually add back different types of foods, or try a different kibble... if you are not happy with the Rx food for long term. It IS a good diagnostic tool though!

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto the skin scraping. I would also ask about environemental allergies as they are more common than food allergies.

And admittedly, I a little confused at what is going on. First you said you think it's allergies, then that your vet thinks it's allergies. Did your vet have reason to think this is mange and is that what you are giving him the cephalexin for? Have you asked him if there is another treatment for it since after two months you're not seeing any improvement? (Or have you seen improvement?)

Reactions: Tess

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yeah, I was confused too...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he's been skin scraped 4 times by a vet. all negative results but they say they are extremely hard to find.
the vet said he was sure it was mange (after the first visit) but that he just had negative scrapings. so he prescribed him cephalexin & the advantage multi (this was about 2 months ago..maybe a little over that). after 2 months i was directed to call back and let them know if he was itching. he still was/is itching like crazy. during that phone call they told me it was for sure allergies because if it was mange he would have been fixed and not itching at all. i've had a dog with mange before and it was NOT treated by antibiotics and topical medicine, that is why i'm not sure we can for sure rule out mange.
i have him on iams now (he was on pedigree, science diet, and beneful). i've started putting vegetable oil on his food and his itching has gotten a bit better. after this iams (which does not have some of the ingredients that the other 3 have had..) i plan on putting him on a hypoallergenic diet.

is it safe to rule out mange simply after antibiotics for 2 1/2 months and advantage multi??

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
is it safe to rule out mange simply after antibiotics for 2 1/2 months and advantage multi??

Look for a reply from "Holly" to know for sure, but my bet is that 2.5 months of treatment for mange should be enough.

How old is this dog? Is he the 7/8 month old pup you speak about on another thread?

Sounds like they really looked for the mange mites.
Demodectic mange is not normally itchy, although it is common to cause the hair loss around the eyes.
Sarcoptic mange is normally itchy, but its not necessarily all over the legs and feet.
Legs and feet itchy speaks more of environmental allergies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes! 7-8 months! who is this holly person?!?! someone mentioned her on my last post as well! i googled her, but nothing came up.
yes, its the same dog. i attached pictures in a different thread about 2 weeks ago or so.

i dont want to do the testing because i've found that it will do false positives if done incorrectly (i have friends who have done it) and it also will not test for certain allergens, also. so it doesn't really make sense for me to pay $300 for a test that will not even test ALL kinds of allergens along with the risk of getting false positives!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Holly is a member here who has extensive medical training with regards to animals. We are not allowed to reveal her true identity! LOL! But just know what she tells you is very much up to date. ;) Write her a private message if you want to know more.

(gotcha Holly!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do i get in contact with her or get her to see this? she hasnt responded to any posts of mine! you are the third person to mention her

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
he's been skin scraped 4 times by a vet. all negative results but they say they are extremely hard to find.
the vet said he was sure it was mange (after the first visit) but that he just had negative scrapings. so he prescribed him cephalexin & the advantage multi (this was about 2 months ago..maybe a little over that). after 2 months i was directed to call back and let them know if he was itching. he still was/is itching like crazy. during that phone call they told me it was for sure allergies because if it was mange he would have been fixed and not itching at all. i've had a dog with mange before and it was NOT treated by antibiotics and topical medicine, that is why i'm not sure we can for sure rule out mange.
i have him on iams now (he was on pedigree, science diet, and beneful). i've started putting vegetable oil on his food and his itching has gotten a bit better. after this iams (which does not have some of the ingredients that the other 3 have had..) i plan on putting him on a hypoallergenic diet.

All those foods have the same type of protein, in addition Beneful is loaded with dyes which can also cause allergic reactions. That's probably why you didn't see any improvement when you switched his food. What you need to do is find a food with a novel protein source that isn't in any of the foods he's been on and that also does not contain any of the proteins he's been on in the past, then feed him that and only that for a couple months.

Tess, will the hypoallergenic food still work if it's protein is one that the dog is allergic to?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Tess, will the hypoallergenic food still work if it's protein is one that the dog is allergic to?
Yes, that is indeed the point. The proteins are broken down into short enough amino acid chains that the body does not recognize them as allergens.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Hi...

Okay, so my two cents.

The treatment is not working and needs to be changed up. The Advantage Multi is likely trying to treat for sarcoptic mange but it does not sound like your dog has sarcoptes. Sarcoptes are hard to find on a scrape but usually there is significant crusting on the ear edges. These are very itchy.

If the dog has demodex, it's not being treated for it. The dog would need ivermectin, ideally. These should not be itchy.

The antibiotic clearly isn't working for secondary infection. It needs to be changed to a Simplicef or something stronger.

This could also be a yeasty infection so an impression smear slide of the skin should tell you that.

The pictures I've seen look to me like allergies. Ideally I'd say she should go on a hydrolyzed protein diet like Hill's Z/D or Purina HA for 6-8 weeks-- that's going to be the best way to see if this is the problem.

I have seen a case of MRSA on skin and a biopsy was needed to diagnose it. Your pup may, unfortunately, need a biopsy...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
holly, could MRSA affect the color of a dogs skin? we've noticed that my roommates dog has NOT been itching like my dog but her belly has been turning a darker color than usual. There has not been ANY behavior change, though.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Change of skin color just means chronic irritation... not that much more. So it could be anything but it just shows that the root of the problem has not been addressed.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Starting to sound like it could be a primary seborrhea issue too...

Have you been prescribed any shampoos to use?

I'm more thinking that a biopsy is a really good idea above all else...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, my boyfriend just started to get really itchy when he picked him up. there will be little red dots and they itch. but they go away within a few minutes. not sure if this makes any type of difference.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Sarcoptes is contagious but they wouldn't go away that quickly and you've been treating for it.

Is your dog on flea medication?

My father gets that way with short-haired breeds like Boxers so it may just be your boyfriend's allergy... Shar Pei's make me itchy like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dog is on advantage multi. he's been for about 2 months now. we started every 2 weeks and we will start once a month next week on Friday.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
dog is on advantage multi. he's been for about 2 months now. we started every 2 weeks and we will start once a month next week on Friday.
That right there might solve the problem. I know people dont think of this stuff as poison but it is. What you need to do is stop over dosing the dog with flea treatment. I would also change brands to frontline to make sure its not a reaction to the flea treatment. Get the dog on a diet that does not include any dyes, coloring byproducts , mystery meat or fats or grains. I would use something like Van Pattens duck and bean formula to eliminate anything yeast forming. Both of these things will boost the immune system and help the dog heal.
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Legume & Duck Meal Dry Dog Formula - Natural Balance Pet Foods

1 - 20 of 21 Posts