Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about how a dog should behave when interacting with other dogs, off leash. I haven't had a dog before so I am not too sure what's acceptable.
I've had Riloue for about a month and a half now, he is 6 months old. He loves every dog and every human which I am pretty happy about to start with.
He plays very rough and mostly enjoys wrestling with larger dogs, but he also has some younger puppy friends and when he plays most contently it's wrestling with nipping ears, having the throat in his mouth (without biting) or mouthing legs etc and with that he is taking turns on who is on top and who is on bottom. He has a lot of doggie friends who play the same way and a lot of dog owners who love the way they play. (Riloue is a Cattle dog x staffy x ridgeback, 17kg at the moment)

Here are a few scenarios where I'd like to know how I should react in the future.
A- We walked to the end of the off leash beach. A 5 year old spaniel was there. They ran towards each other sniffed each other but the other dog showed no signs of wanting to play. Riloue chased a few sticks I threw and wandered around, sniffing. The Spaniel decided to have a sand bath and was rolling himself in the sand. Riloue saw that as an invitation to play, ran towards him and got yelped/ barked at. He turned around and played by himself again. Some more interaction took place (Just sniffing)

B- We were walking down the beach when Riloue found a little fluffy dog to play with. The dog wasn't very playful but both sniffed for a bit and walked around together. They came across a third dog who was from the same owner, a little white fluffy dog. He barged towards Riloue, barking and snapping at him, Riloue ran off, tail in and found another friend after 2 steps who he played with. The owner said it's not her dog and its being protective.

C- Walking along the beach we find a group of 4 dogs, 3 large Labradors and one little dog (sorry I'm not good with breeds). Riloue and the three Labradors do a lot of sniffing but don't play. When Riloue approaches the little dog he runs away (tail up) and Riloue chases him. I thought he was being playful but the owner seemed to think otherwise so I called Riloue back, got him to sit and calm and directed him towards the Labradors. He did play with them but kept going back to the little dig who was sitting just beside them. I ended up walking away.

In all three examples there is not much play going on, because when he is just happily playing I have no concerns :)

He also humps sometimes(not often), I then pull him away, get him to sit and let him go and play again after half a minute (is that okay?)
He also knows when it's time to walk away from a god or to lay on his back straight away (there are some very dominant dogs around)

I don't want to constantly be correcting him as I want him to continue liking other dogs.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It sounds like in all three scenarios he behaved exactly as he should have. As soon as dog 1 told him off, he immediately went to do something else and didn't keep bothering it. Dog 2, he backed off as soon as it showed its displeasure, again a good thing. Dog 3 sounds like he wanted to play, and he reacted appropriately, the smalldog's owner.. might reasonably not want a big dog playing with their small creampuff, but Riloue is doing everything a proper dog should be doing!

Humping is just overexcitement, and also normal for dogs. It sounds like you're handling that alright too.

Seems like even if he plays rough, he's doing just what he should be, as are you. I see no concerns right now!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It sounds to me like he reacted appropriately in each case. He immediately responded to the corrections by other dogs and sounds like a social, well-mannered boy.

Regarding the humping, that's just an excitement thing, and you handled it perfectly.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about how a dog should behave when interacting with other dogs, off leash. I haven't had a dog before so I am not too sure what's acceptable.
I've had Riloue for about a month and a half now, he is 6 months old. He loves every dog and every human which I am pretty happy about to start with.
He plays very rough and mostly enjoys wrestling with larger dogs, but he also has some younger puppy friends and when he plays most contently it's wrestling with nipping ears, having the throat in his mouth (without biting) or mouthing legs etc and with that he is taking turns on who is on top and who is on bottom. He has a lot of doggie friends who play the same way and a lot of dog owners who love the way they play. (Riloue is a Cattle dog x staffy x ridgeback, 17kg at the moment)

Here are a few scenarios where I'd like to know how I should react in the future.
A- We walked to the end of the off leash beach. A 5 year old spaniel was there. They ran towards each other sniffed each other but the other dog showed no signs of wanting to play. Riloue chased a few sticks I threw and wandered around, sniffing. The Spaniel decided to have a sand bath and was rolling himself in the sand. Riloue saw that as an invitation to play, ran towards him and got yelped/ barked at. He turned around and played by himself again. Some more interaction took place (Just sniffing)

B- We were walking down the beach when Riloue found a little fluffy dog to play with. The dog wasn't very playful but both sniffed for a bit and walked around together. They came across a third dog who was from the same owner, a little white fluffy dog. He barged towards Riloue, barking and snapping at him, Riloue ran off, tail in and found another friend after 2 steps who he played with. The owner said it's not her dog and its being protective.

C- Walking along the beach we find a group of 4 dogs, 3 large Labradors and one little dog (sorry I'm not good with breeds). Riloue and the three Labradors do a lot of sniffing but don't play. When Riloue approaches the little dog he runs away (tail up) and Riloue chases him. I thought he was being playful but the owner seemed to think otherwise so I called Riloue back, got him to sit and calm and directed him towards the Labradors. He did play with them but kept going back to the little dig who was sitting just beside them. I ended up walking away.

In all three examples there is not much play going on, because when he is just happily playing I have no concerns :)

He also humps sometimes(not often), I then pull him away, get him to sit and let him go and play again after half a minute (is that okay?)
He also knows when it's time to walk away from a god or to lay on his back straight away (there are some very dominant dogs around)

I don't want to constantly be correcting him as I want him to continue liking other dogs.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I do the right thing.
No dog should ever bite another dog, or have it's throat in their mouth. Would you like it if another dog had your dogs mouth on your dogs throat. If my dog did this she would never be offleash even at a dogpark.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am actually very impressed reading your post!

This is a 6 month old dog, behaving like this? With the playing and the recall with high distractions?! WOW!

Be proud of your gorgeous pup! :D

As long as you keep an eye on play time (everybody should anyway) and call him to you if something feels off, you should be good. :)

Here is what helped me with my dog humping the other one - absolute lifesaver!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8 - positive interrupter noise.

You would use the noise and redirect his attention somewhere appropriate. :)
Humping can be from over excitement, boredom, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the positive interrupter noise before. I havent tried it yet, but it might be worth it.
The recall is everything but perfect (i think i gave the wrong impression), i have to use a lot of encouragement and hand clapping on my kneews etc. For him to come back, but i stay close when he plays. He would not come back when humping for example, i have to pull him off.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
876 Posts
No dog should ever bite another dog, or have it's throat in their mouth. Would you like it if another dog had your dogs mouth on your dogs throat. If my dog did this she would never be offleash even at a dogpark.
Mouthing isn't biting, and dogs play with the only 'hands' they have - their mouths. Biting is a serious issue that would need to be addressed, this dog is not biting. This is doggie pretend. Just like kids pretend. Bite INHIBITION is 100% in force when playing, and is to be encouraged, not punished.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Mouthing isn't biting, and dogs play with the only 'hands' they have - their mouths. Biting is a serious issue that would need to be addressed, this dog is not biting. This is doggie pretend. Just like kids pretend. Bite INHIBITION is 100% in force when playing, and is to be encouraged, not punished.
I have dogs at the dog park get very frustrated with my dog, because she teases them into running, and lets them nearly catch her, then she puts on the speed and humiliates them. Now some of these dogs get pissed and start to threaten her, happens all the time. It's really bad with larger dogs that are actually faster than her and they still can't catch her as she puts on the brakes and changes direction to beat them. Point being she is then attacked because she is faster and more agile. In fact she has never chased another dog, not even once, as she is the fastest there, even when the other dog is faster. This makes me a little unnerved, because she does get attacked, and some owners think it's fair. That said these people in the dog park have dogs that are never offleash anywhere else as my dog does 50 mile marathons with ease, which is why she is so fast and enduring. It pisses me off a little. Sorry

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Sonkos - I think your dog behaves very appropriately! That is exactly how I would want any dog that is playing with mine to behave. Sounds like he is very adept at understanding doggy social cues. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have dogs at the dog park get very frustrated with my dog, because she teases them into running, and lets them nearly catch her, then she puts on the speed and humiliates them. Now some of these dogs get pissed and start to threaten her, happens all the time. It's really bad with larger dogs that are actually faster than her and they still can't catch her as she puts on the brakes and changes direction to beat them. Point being she is then attacked because she is faster and more agile. In fact she has never chased another dog, not even once, as she is the fastest there, even when the other dog is faster. This makes me a little unnerved, because she does get attacked, and some owners think it's fair. That said these people in the dog park have dogs that are never offleash anywhere else as my dog does 50 mile marathons with ease, which is why she is so fast and enduring. It pisses me off a little. Sorry

Against what you seem to believe, dogs just don't attack for no reason. Nor do they get "frustrated" like you and I do.

Without seeing it, your dog sounds sort of fearful / submissive - particularly when it seems that the dog doesn't engage in such games [you saying she doesn't chase]. Typical chase behavior is a lope by dogs, not taking off like a "bat out of hell".

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
She stated her dog doesn't chomp down. There's a difference from a grab on the skin of the neck where the dog holds and pulls - which is painful and can cause serious damage - versus a push using the mouth on the neck. It's important to distinguish. The action her dog is doing is not aggressive and I would have absolutely no problem with another dog doing that to mine as long as he wasn't showing negative reaction like ears back and "tail" tuck (Cosmo has no tail and tucks his butt)

Biting is extremely common in play. Dogs use their mouth because they don't have hands. I'm curious to know what your dogs use to play?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think I understand what you mean. Cosmo doesn't like being chased because he's very fast and sometimes the way he runs sends dogs into prey mode. They will then do a motion where they take their mouth and grab onto Cosmo's neck to push him over mid chase. This is not okay because he's nervous and freaked out when it happens and he is running to avoid. I always call him over and make the dogs back up off of him and let him settle for a few minutes when this happens.

The thing the OP described is not this. This is where one dog isn't being hunted, they're both mutually playing and mouthing each other. It's completely normal and nothing to worry about. If the other dog appeared fearful or nervous or if it began escalating and they showed signs for the other dog to back off then I would personally definitely remove my dog from the chase or situation and make him calm down. To me however that's not what OP was describing.

Also: The dogs aren't jealous because your dog can run faster, the fast running sends many dogs into prey mode. It happens with Cosmo a lot and it can cause a lot of problems. He also sometimes will exhibit nervous behavior and we always leave when he isn't having a good time because 1) he's not having a good time and I want dog parks to be a good experience and 2) his nervousness makes other dogs nervous and creates problems.

·
Registered
876 Posts

If your dog is literally being attacked, you should reconsider putting her in such a situation, especially if you know she's going to get attacked. The vet bills must be getting expensive.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your dog is literally being attacked, you should reconsider putting her in such a situation, especially if you know she's going to get attacked. The vet bills must be getting expensive.
I have a feeling her idea of "attacked" is different from an actual attack considering she thought a dog using their mouth for play was bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts