Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is on apoquel for allergies (and benadryl). He can take it daily, but I just give it to him when he is scratching.

I saw a new vet today and he gave me info on cytopoint, a shot that controls itching and is not an immunosuppressant like apoquel. He said he does not need it while his itching is mild, but it is something I could think about.

He also said that benadryl is not usually effective, just sedating. I am going to see how he does with just the apoquel as needed.

I liked the vet. I told him about the growling and he was not afraid of my dog or call him aggressive. (My dog occasionally growls at us if we do something he does not like). He set my dog facing me on the exam table to help him stay calm.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cytopoint does help some dog gain relief. It's effectiveness can sometimes last up to 6 weeks before having to be boosted. It also can be used in conjunction with Apoquel. Both of which are better alternatives than Prednisone.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've used both with my two boys, Jack and Ollie. sometimes the Apoquel becomes ineffective, so I switch to the Cytopoint shots. The shot's effectiveness on both of my dogs wears off at about 4 weeks. Right now they are both on Apoquel.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm trying to stick to Apoquel for my boys allergies. Depending on the time of year I may have to give it every day, every other day, or can take him off of it. I give it to him as sparingly as possible to let his immune system rebound.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to stick to Apoquel for my boys allergies. Depending on the time of year I may have to give it every day, every other day, or can take him off of it. I give it to him as sparingly as possible to let his immune system rebound.
Thanks. That is what i am doing. I can't take him off entirely, but go a couple of days. The apoquel seems to be working.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I give my cat who is allergic to everything Apoquel every three days along with his allergy shots. He still scratches a bit but doesn't scratch himself raw and look abused like he did for a year or two.
My vet won't use Prednisone long acting shots anymore, says new research shows it causes long term problems and is too dangerous.
It caused the infection that ultimately killed my last dog, suppresses the immune system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts