Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has allergies. I think it is environmenal, but do not know what. His skin itches so much he was making hot spots, which have healed and his eyes water. I was giving him apoquel and then added benadryl. I stopped apoquel, but continued with the benadryl. Is the aoquel a lot better. I have to remind him to stop scratching and distract him with toys. His eyes are still watering.u

·
Registered
671 Posts
Apoquel stops the itch factor from reaching a dog's brain, so in that sense it is better than Benadryl. Neither of those 2 drugs can cure allergies, but at least they offer some relief to most dogs. Two of my pups are on Apoquel and one is on Benadryl.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apoquel stops the itch factor from reaching a dog's brain, so in that sense it is better than Benadryl. Neither of those 2 drugs can cure allergies, but at least they offer some relief to most dogs. Two of my pups are on Apoquel and one is on Benadryl.
Thanks, i am hoping it is seasonal. I will get more apoquel since he is scratching

·
Registered
23 Posts
short answer is yes. They work in completely different ways, Apoquel stops the itch signal traveling and does an excellent job in the vast majority of atopic dogs. Benadryl is an antihistamine, it has a much more mild effect and only about 20% of dogs will get any relief from it as antihistamines do not work nearly as well in dogs compared to humans. It can though help some dogs when combined with other strategies such as fish oils, regular shampooing, flea prevention...you can discuss all these with your vet

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use Apoquel on one of my dogs and it was life changing for her, she had chronic allergies and would itch herself so bad she kept getting reoccurring staph infections, we tried everything and nothing worked till we tried Apoquel.

Also I work at an animal hospital and a lot of our patients who have allergies get an injection instead of Apoquel, it’s called Cytopoint, it last for about 6-8 weeks depending on the dog, and clients swear by it, it’s also easier for most to get one injection once every 6-8 weeks instead of giving medication daily.

·
Registered
671 Posts
. . . Also I work at an animal hospital and a lot of our patients who have allergies get an injection instead of Apoquel, it’s called Cytopoint, it last for about 6-8 weeks depending on the dog, and clients swear by it, it’s also easier for most to get one injection once every 6-8 weeks instead of giving medication daily.
The Cytopoint injection only lasted four 4 weeks for my pup Ollie, and by about the 6th injection it quit working altogether. We had to switch back to Apoquel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts