Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about the APBTs, ASTs, And Ambullies being used for protection work, i already know how most APBT people feel, so i am curious about other opinions

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
@MRSbullies actually does protection work with his bullies; they successfully handled a home invasion a while back. I don't know much about the advantages and utilities of bullies in protection work over other breeds like GSDs, Mals, and molossers but will definitely be keeping tabs on this thread to learn more!

Personally I don't see what the benefit would be as, from my understanding, dogs with dog-fighting history are bred not to be human-aggressive so that fights can be safely broken up. But they do exist in protection jobs and I'm certain that people are not throwing their money down the hole training these dogs for such work. So I'm interested in learning more; maybe @Shawsea and MRSbullies can shed some light!

·
Registered
292 Posts
The whole "dog men culled ha dogs" is a myth.. There were plenty of HA dogs heavily bred by dog men.. The dogs were bred as long as they proved game
I agree.
Even ones that were controllable by the handler, were often only controllable by the handler.

I do think that APBT and AB are incredibly intelligent animals, therefore making them great at any job given if they are trained and handled properly and consistently.

·
Super Moderator
10,708 Posts
What do you mean by protection work?

If you mean a dog trained to protect, like police, or military, dogs HA dogs DO NOT make good candidates. Dogs that are trained to protect need stable temperaments, and need to be able to tell a threat from a non threat. You do not want a dog that's acting aggressive because a person stops to ask the handler for directions. You do not want a dog trying to break through the window because someone knocked on the front dog.

Just like any large breed dog, a Bully breed, can make a good protecting dog if it has a stable temperament, and a good work drive. I, however, don't like to see them used for such work. They already have a reputation for being aggressive, why add to it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Protection work as in P.P. police work or even sports like IPO.. i only mentioned HA because someone implied that APBTS were bred against that trait which is a common myth...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just like any large breed dog, a Bully breed, can make a good protecting dog if it has a stable temperament, and a good work drive. I, however, don't like to see them used for such work. They already have a reputation for being aggressive, why add to it?
I have to agree with @Rain on this bolded point. I had an Am Bully girl, and she was incredibly sweet, very child-friendly, but her breed alone caused people to be very cautious and afraid of her.

I think one bad incident involving an aggressive protection bully dog could be the death knell for several thousand bully breeds in shelters right now. There are already home associations and municipal laws against bully breed ownership and once more incident could just be the nail in the coffin.

However, that said, I think if a positive incident were to happen that could turn the negative bully image around and help to rehabilitate bullies in the media. I think the individual who takes on bullies to do protection/security work must keep these larger social impacts and effects in mind. Their success or failure in regards to training these dogs can have an impact on thousands of lives.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have to agree with @Rain on this bolded point. I had an Am Bully girl, and she was incredibly sweet, very child-friendly, but her breed alone caused people to be very cautious and afraid of her.

I think one bad incident involving an aggressive protection bully dog could be the death knell for several thousand bully breeds in shelters right now. There are already home associations and municipal laws against bully breed ownership and once more incident could just be the nail in the coffin.

However, that said, I think if a positive incident were to happen that could turn the negative bully image around and help to rehabilitate bullies in the media. I think the individual who takes on bullies to do protection/security work must keep these larger social impacts and effects in mind. Their success or failure in regards to training these dogs can have an impact on thousands of lives.
I agree to a point, but what to say about the numerous bully breeds that do already work and train in protection fields.
I wonder what kind of differences there is in training bully breeds over Shepherds in this field of work.

·
Super Moderator
10,708 Posts
Protection work as in P.P. police work or even sports like IPO.. i only mentioned HA because someone implied that APBTS were bred against that trait which is a common myth...

That's only partially correct.

It's a myth that fighting dogs were bred to be people friendly. The APBT standard calls for dogs that are people friendly while DA is allowed although not encouraged. American Pit Bull Terrier Network Temperament

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's only partially correct.

It's a myth that fighting dogs were bred to be people friendly. The APBT standard calls for dogs that are people friendly while DA is allowed although not encouraged. American Pit Bull Terrier Network Temperament
I know this, breeders NOW should be breeding away from da, but she said "because of their history of dog fighting" which is what i was referring to. I apologize if what i said was hard to understand but i am well aware of the apbt standard ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
@MRSbullies actually does protection work with his bullies; they successfully handled a home invasion a while back. I don't know much about the advantages and utilities of bullies in protection work over other breeds like GSDs, Mals, and molossers but will definitely be keeping tabs on this thread to learn more!

Personally I don't see what the benefit would be as, from my understanding, dogs with dog-fighting history are bred not to be human-aggressive so that fights can be safely broken up. But they do exist in protection jobs and I'm certain that people are not throwing their money down the hole training these dogs for such work. So I'm interested in learning more; maybe @Shawsea and MRSbullies can shed some light!
I use Ambullies for a few reasons. When I'm working a security dog I want some one brave, strong, and hard working but more than that it needs to be discrimnatley loyal to its "pack". Ambullies are. I can't speak for others but I want a people friendly security dog. I feel the dog's job should be detain and hold. Not attack and maul. I've worked "shepard" breeds and find they're quicker to lose sight of who is friend and who is foe in the frenzy of real action. They also seem to have more trouble with not crossing the line between detaining and mauling someone. I also find that in general most Ambullies seem to require less maintance training than the shepards.

Personal preference aside, Any breed can work some aspect of security (and I do mean ANY breed) it just depends on how much work the handler puts into them.

Oh by the way...I'm a woman lol. You guys keep calling me "he".

·
Registered
951 Posts
Aside from the short-legged-giant-head Am bullies, the ABPT and kin clearly has the physical ability to do all sorts of work.

APBT and kin also have a lot of drive, very little quit, and a desire to please the human, so this means they can be trained to do all sorts of task, be it circus tricks, dock diving, agility, sports, or protection work.

Regarding Human Aggression, I both agree and disagree with what others have posted above. Yes, a winning dog that had some HA would still be bred, but it has always been the case where winners in area X had defect Y ignored. In general, HA was actively bred away from. But mainly dog sports and protection aren't really about HA, it is about play-drive (ball-drive) for dog sports like schutz. (The guy running with the sleeve is chased after and the sleeve bit because it is a fun game, not because of HA, or a lack of HA) or, barring that, from a 'defense drive' again not really tied to HA.

I think a bigger problem would be DA tendencies leading to disruptions.

Also though recall these breeding traditions of going for DA and against HA in breeding really faded away when dog fighting was outlawed. Since then plenty of people have been breeding for a great reduction in DA (although it is still there in some amounts) and others have been breeding heavily for HA as the pit type has become the 'weapon of choice' for some people.

The MAIN problem, however, is public perception. If you are Joe Average and you have a protection dog that is a pitbull, it doesn't matter if the guy who gets bit is running off with your grandmother's jewelry, if the biter is a pit, all the other details are going to fade into the background. Same thing with police, if the dog they send in to bite whoever is a pit, there would be a poop-storm in the media.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I use Ambullies for a few reasons. When I'm working a security dog I want some one brave, strong, and hard working but more than that it needs to be discrimnatley loyal to its "pack". Ambullies are. I can't speak for others but I want a people friendly security dog. I feel the dog's job should be detain and hold. Not attack and maul. I've worked "shepard" breeds and find they're quicker to lose sight of who is friend and who is foe in the frenzy of real action. They also seem to have more trouble with not crossing the line between detaining and mauling someone. I also find that in general most Ambullies seem to require less maintance training than the shepards.

Personal preference aside, Any breed can work some aspect of security (and I do mean ANY breed) it just depends on how much work the handler puts into them.

Oh by the way...I'm a woman lol. You guys keep calling me "he".
Interesting. I suspect that because a lot of the pits were bred for the fighting style of get a good bite and hang on no matter what until the opponent exhausts himself, that translates for protection work getting a solid hold and then that's that.

as for the other...

There Are No Girls On The Internet | Know Your Meme

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought that was rather obvious - MRS Bullies!!! LOL!!!
The MRS stands for Mama, Rowe, & Sophie. My three knot heads,:p I'm kinda used to being mistaken for a man on forums though. In my line of work people just assume... LOL having a "manly" job makes it hard for a single mom to get a date. I'm armed and have two very intimidating dogs... Doesn't matter how hot I am:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts