Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old cockapoo who is going to be 15 pounds full grown has me over a barrel. She is demand barking for people food even after she eats her raw food like she is panicking she will die without it. Since I can't have her barking her head off I have to do somethin, throw her something. She can't understand things I eat have to be cooked and cooled down to give her any. I put some in the freezer for a few minutes or rinse under cool water. I am miserable trying to keep her quiet and being forced to give in. Neighbours know I have a puppy and think she is adorable (she is) but no one wants barking. She was doing 90% fine peeing on training pad till one day decided to run around the house with it and now it's in a holder tray but needs to be taped down as she pulls it out easily. So she seldom pees on it and actually likes to eat it. We have stress over this. I take her out afternoons with a leash that extends 25 feet. She tires at the end and wants to be carried. Any ideas on the people food issue? I feel I can retrain her on the pad. She knows sit, come, and we are working on stay, down, and quiet
(I wish).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, we started with kibble, then she stopped, I added some good quality canned food, ate it 2 times and stopped, I tried just the canned food she ate it once. I'm on raw now but have to encourage her to eat it sometimes by spoon. In all cases she would rather go hungry and wait for people food. She watches me like a hawk and I have to prove I have no people food in my hands. It's so tiring. Should I cook dog recipes for her which seem to be ground meat carrots and rice? She will think it's my people food unless it smells really different she can tell. If I lived in a house all would be well, I could put up a barrier to the kitchen, or put her in another room or her kennel (which she decided she hates now) but she will bark and bark and bar. She has me over a barrel.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
> Get your neighbors a treat and apologize for the barking, let them know you're trying to train her.

Then, stop giving in to her. She barks because it works. Ignore her when she starts, get up and go to another room if you have to.

Additionally, reward calm, quiet behavior. Put some treats in your pocket and whenever she's laying down quietly, give her one. Have her sit before you give her her food.

> I really don't like pad training, especially for puppies, because it usually ends up being messy and dogs can get confused and just start going anywhere in the house that reminds them of the pad (including carpet). But that's a personal choice.

> It's not uncommon for young puppies to get tired near the end of the walk, especially if you are walking far. Try for more frequent, shorter trips outside.

EDIT: She'll eat when she's hungry enough. Put the food down, leave it down for 15 minutes, and if she doesn't eat then, she can wait until the next meal.

I'm all for dogs having delicious, healthy diets, but it frankly doesn't get much better than that. If she goes days without eating her food then I'd consider switching, but not if she's just picky and expecting you to hand feed her.

And again, stop giving in especially with your food. She knows she doesn't have to eat hers because she'll just be able to convince you to hand over your goodies. Once she learns that you're not going to share, she will eat her own food.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried but just noticing her actions now. She is chewing on boxes, wood, curtains and etc and I'm sure she's hungry. I tried giving her a few pieces of hot dog as someone I met in the park said his dogs love it for a treat. She didn't like it until I had one for lunch as I'm stuck with them. I just served her fresh raw ground gourmet turkey with organs and tripe. She had one bite and then stared at the stove and I couldn't coax her to eat more. She went back to the box. Now I'm thinking I can't feed her in the kitchen any more. I have to find a other place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never given her a full meal of people food to fill her belly. She gets a few scraps just to keep her quiet. I have gone a day at a time not eating to see if she will stop waiting for my cooking. I survived on a bit of dry cheerios which she barked at till she hot a few. She nibbles a bit at her food. Sigh. I'm not willing to get into trouble with the landlord so I don't know what to do. I'll try feeding her when she is hungry in another spot. If that doesn't work I might have to give her up. Many people have said they'd love to have her. I've been
asked and found that shocking and upsetting.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
She's chewing on boxes because she's 3 months old and that's what puppies do.

A lot of people have dogs that do that because they get concerned if the dog misses two or three meals and then they give in. Do you have a crate? Try feeding her in there - put her in, give her her food, wait the 15 minutes, and whatever she doesn't eat in that amount of time gets put away until the next meal. As a puppy, she should be given 3-4 meals a day, so she'll naturally have many chances to eat if she chooses to.

If she goes several days without eating, then you can be concerned and look to another course of action. But that would likely mean something else was going on. As long as she's eating a little bit at each meal, and as long as it's only a few meals she's skipping, she'll be fine. Just don't give in. She'll eat when she gets hungry enough, as much as she feels she needs.

It really is all about what is working from her angle. If she gets food for demand barking at you, she'll continue to do so. If she learns that she can turn her nose up at her food because you'll just give her your food, that's what she'll do.

On the other hand, if she learns that barking doesn't work, but sitting down quietly earns her a treat - THAT'S what she'll do.

EDIT: If she barks at you while you are eating, put her in another room. She may bark, but don't let her out when she gets quiet and certainly don't give in to her just to keep her quiet as that reinforces her bad behavior.

I'm sure she'll catch on quickly if you are consistent. Apologize to your neighbors in advance and give them a gift basket or something. If they have dogs or like dogs, they'll understand. It's not like she's barking all night long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This puppy is training you well! You really need to stop rewarding her for barking, and you MUST be consistent about it. If she barks for food, as Poppykenna says, just put her in another room, and dont let her out until she is quiet. She doesnt have to be in there long, as long as she is quiet when you let her out (so she doesnt think that barking will get her let out). She will eventually learn that barking will result in her being taken away from the food, and the barking should stop.

Also unless there is an underlying medical problem, no dog is going to willingly starve itself when there is perfectly good food available. The advice Poppykenna has given is good advice, and although it may take a few days, she should eventually learn that she needs to eat when her food is offered, as it wont be there forever.

And chewing things is definitely not a sign of hunger, if anything it is more likely to be a sign of boredom. Puppies explore EVERYTHING with their nose and teeth, no matter how hungry or full they may be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tonight after the park I blocked off the kitchen with a board. She didn't make a fuss. She ate some raw in another area. After our stress of last few days I decided to act like we just met, moving on. I gave her a few doggie biscuits with cheese and egg and she wanted more for the food and caring. She had a handful. She had hid a couple pieces of hot dog earlier and was trying to bury them in my duvet and push pretend dirt over it. LOL If my luck holds and she accepts being banned from the kitchen where she acts like the soup nazi I will be so pleased. We
both need a break. I keep meeting people with dogs in the park and the dogs act like dogs. She seems more like a person and it's annoying to deal with trying to outsmart her. She's too clever and I wish she was a little dumber, more obedient, not expecting I treat her as an equal. This isn't what I hoped for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good job taking control. But I notice in your posts you talk like "if she lets me do this...".. No, No, and No. She doesn't control you. You control her. She's smart but dogs only understand stimulus, behaviour, outcome. So stimulus- YOUR food, behaviour: she barks, outcome: she gets food. Boom. Now, she barks when YOUR food is out because she knows the outcome is her getting some.

My best advice- cut out the human food for now, especially because you give in when you know it's an option. We told everybody our dog wasn't going to be fed human food- not because we have a problem with it, but to keep people from feeding her at inappropriate times. Keep her to her food (whatever you are feeding her). Put food in a bowl on the ground for 15 minutes at the exact same time each day. If she eats it, good, if not, too bad and she can try again next meal time.

Dogs respond to consistency- so be consistent! Should she bark- ignore her; when she's been quiet for 15 seconds, pay attention to her. Should she bit furniture etc, stuff a chew toy in her mouth. FInd out what she likes- there's nylabones, bully sticks, kongs, raw bones (only ones sold specifically for dogs)- and give it to her only when she's good. I might also suggest looking into a trainer for some one-on-one sessions. The trainer can her you to quell the barking in the house, give you some tips and ways to be smarter than her. A smart dog is tonnes of fun because with some consistency and some patience you can teach them a lot of really cool tricks.

And as for the walking- if she's laying down, you are going for too long! Try shortening up the walks.

You can do this! But you need to re-train you and her. Each time you interact with her, think about the message you are sending. If she jumps up, you ignore her; if you only play with her when all 4 paws are on the ground, she eventually will stop jumping. If you only feed her her food at certain times, she will eat and stop begging. If you ignore the barking and pay attention to a quiet dog, she may bark less to try to get your attention. You CAN do this. There are resources like books and trainers and this thread. The key is to be calm and consistent. And don't feel bad if you need to put her in a safe place and walk away for a few minutes (headphones in if you must) if you are feeling overwhelmed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your response. The break from the kitchen drama was essential. She can see me in there but her barking changed to whining after I told her to be quiet. Wow. So she asked instead of commanded. She got a bit of pasta. We are better friends now. Yes she knows several commands but her sit is really just 3 seconds long. She is very capable. I know exhaustion and frustration will return repeatedly. I'm having one good day today.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I haven't read all of the responses but it may help to teach her "place". I started doing that with my pup when her begging was out of control. After a short time, she learned that when I'm preparing food or we're eating, she needs to be out of the kitchen. Sometimes I'll give her a peanut butter stuffed kong, sometimes nothing. It didn't take long for her to catch on. I'm sure your pup will too. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No such luck. She is very dominant and stubborn and now that she is kept out of kitchen she barks and whines the same. I have tried every kind of food on earth and she never eats a full belly full. She goes around hungry always wanting a buffet of food to choose from. Ugh. Again because of being in an apartment I have to stop her from barking. She isn't much interested in peanut butter in a Kong beyond a minute. She wants something new every ten minutes. I go without eating much to not let her demand people food. I'm frustrated. I've wasted lots of ground gourmet blend raw food putting out a tablespoon now which she turns her nose up at. She will have a bit more if I feed her by spoon!!! But even then walks away. I need her to eat a full meal of something! Giving her raw chicken wings works best with me holding it but she likes the bones best and get bored and walks away without eating much. She waits for me to go in the kitchen and then demand barks for food. It's not fun.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
How many meals has she skipped?

Again, she's doing this because it works. You need to be stubborn as well.

Decide what you're going to feed her, then put that down. If she doesn't eat it after the allotted amount of time (usually about 15 minutes) pick it up and put it away. And repeat at the next meal.

If she's absolutely not eating anything after a couple of days, then you need to see a vet. But if she's so much picking at her food - keep on going. She'll eat when she's hungry. She'll eat the amount she's hungry for. A healthy dog won't starve itself. And if you're feeding more than once a day, she'll have plenty of opportunities to eat.

But, you must STOP with the people food. Totally. You can give her treats, but only during a training session. You may be able to get to the point where you can be more lax in the future, but for now it has to stop.

She sees food she wants, she barks, you give in to keep her quiet - again, the cycle works. You must change the cycle. Check out the training stickies - there are some videos on capturing calmness. Carry a treat pouch on your hip and reward her throughout the day when she's laying down and being quiet. Just come over, drop a treat between her paws, and continue on your way.

If you reward quiet behavior, she'll repeat quiet behavior. If you teach her how to ask for things (such as sitting when she wants a treat instead of barking) that's what she'll do -- because it works.

You may have to give your neighbors a gift or nice note and apologize to them for any barking they may have to endure for a couple of weeks - but it will be worth it in the end. If you continue to give in to her barking, she will continue to bark. IT's that simple.

Additionally, if you continue to hand feed her she'll expect to be hand fed. She's a young, healthy, vibrant dog - she doesn't need that kind of coddling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wholey agree with PoppyKenna.

In your examples, the dog isn't being dominant or stubborn, the dog is doing what works: it barks, you respond; it turns it's nose up at food, you offer many new foods. It's up to you to stop the cycle, you are the one who is smarter than the dog, you are the one who is in control.

Dog training doesn't happen over night. Dogs don't come with manners programmed in, you need to teach them by reinforcing what you want- good behaviour is rewarded, bad behaviour is ignored.

I might suggest getting a positive reinforcement trainer in to do some one on one with you in your home to help show you how your pattern of behaviours are causing the issues you see in your dog. They can give you a better step-by-step tailored to your situation.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with what's been said so far, no more people food for her, at all.
If you are feeding her around the same time you eat, I would try feeding her after you eat. Eliminating her ability to wait for you to start eating to beg. Leaving her option for food, her own food not her own food or yours. Again following the putting it down for 15 minutes multipull times.
It might also help when you cook and eat in general, stick her in another room or her crate.
Try taking her out more frequently for shorter sessions as was suggested. Try doing them before you eat and or before you feed her. It will take some of the energy off and burning more calories might get her to want to eat more.

Also what type of meat basses for food have you tried? has it just been chicken?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts