Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would welcome any suggestions...I graduated in 2007 and have X amount of loans with what? Stafford loans and X amount with another kind of loan. I was paying back pretty steady for a few years. Then was out of work. They gave me unemployment related extensions. Don't know if I'm eligible for any more.
I'm working now but they just sliced our hours. I've got like 12 hours for next week. Looking for a second part time job, everybody else is looking too so it's tricky. There is forgiveness for teachers...except there is a freeze on hiring teachers in this state, plus with lack of math skills I don't think I'd pass the PRAXIS.
They have forgiveness for veterans, I'm too old to enlist but my Dad served for five years. Don't know if that helps any...I know I'll be paying loans until I die but anyone have suggestions on how to get on top of this? I've been avoiding calling to straighten this out and it's time I do.
Any other avenues to make it more manageable?:ponder:

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I don't have a ton of answers for you but can give a bit more info about the teacher forgiveness . My husband is actually going to be applying at the end of this school year.

Basically you need to teach for 5 consecutive years at an eligible school, have loans from before or during your 5 years, and not be in default on your loans.

IDK if that would apply to your situation but here's the info.
Student Loan Forgiveness < Stafford Loans Repayment

Also IDK much about it but you can apply for deferment if you're unemployed or having a difficult time financially. A friend did this a few years ago when she divorced.
This might help you figure out if derferment is a possibility for you.:)
http://www.staffordloan.com/repayment/deferment.php

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Call'em. Its been a few years since I dealt with them, but there was at least two different methods of defferment availible to EVERYONE. The unemployment one was a pain to apply for, I had to supply all sorts of documentation. The other one was as simple as saying I can't make those payments right now! Note: interest DOES accrue during this time period, but they don't jump on you for not making payments.

My mom works for a company that handles some student loans, she does their programming so I can't help you get an in, sorry lol, but she says they will do pretty much anything to help you get those loans paid off, and are pretty much always willing to work with you with whatever payment you can manage.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Are all your loans federal? Income-Based Repayment might help with those, if you're eligible.? If nothing else, that gives you forgiveness in 25 years.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
My daughter CONSOLIDATED HERS FOR A LOWER INTEREST RATE! And Obama put into regulation that after 10 years if you don't miss payments (google this for rules) that anything over the 10 years is forgiven

I think getting a tutor and passing the Praxis is the way to go! 5 years is WONDERFUL for that forgiveness option, you could probably save the most doing it that way! And teaching is a great profession, wonder if you are a teaching assistant if that would apply to those forgiveness rules too???? Something to check out!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think this a great idea and a great possibility for a student to have a loan as this will help any student very much. Being a student means to spend your time studying and you won't have that much time for work. But you need the money so I would recommend you to have a loan, but you have to be careful choosing the credit company that will offer you the loan. I would definitely recommend you to try this credit company https://credit-10.com/es/moneyman-prestamos/ as this is the best one on the market and I think you will be surprised by their offers. Go on and check it, I am pretty sure you will find something good for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts