Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start running with 2 of my dogs. They are finally old enough to go for runs. Is there anything I need to take them running?

I have bungee leashes and Ruffwear harnesses in my cart. Do they need shoes? I'm looking at these Ruffwear Grip Trex Dog Boots. We will be running on pavement for sure, maybe in the forest on the paths.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey,
I run long distance with my Malinois (10+ miles, as well as marathon distances) I would not recommend a harness, no matter how it is, it will chafe on a long run. I road almost exclusively, and don't use any boots, they get lost way to easily. A hip belt is useful so you are not stuck holding a leash.
Also, running vest or hydration packs are excellent for carrying water. Dogs need to drink more. You may be able to go 3 or four miles without water, but it is harder on your dog especially in summer. Also, room for poop bags.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't know much about running with dogs, but I agree that a hand free leash would probably be helpful. And that you should bring plenty of water for you and the dogs.
I'm not sure about the boots but I think it depends on the terrain and how long your running on that terrain.
I would say since they are just starting, start slow and build up to longer distances so they get used to it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Good boots are a must if its going to be pavement running. There pads will get torn up without them(although they will callous and get tougher in time, its not worth the initial pain they go through IMO). Also there joints aren't made for hard surfaces like that, so some sort of shock absorption(boots) are a good idea.

I'm not sure if its an option for you or not, but I have found that my dogs would rather do a walk/sprint type run than a fixed pace jog. They just enjoy it more. Fortunately I have large light poles along the route that we run that are a fixed distance from one another. It ends up being a walk for 50yds and that a fast paced jog for 100yds. I use the word sprint but they are way faster than I am so they have learned just to go as fast as I do :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know you asked about equipment, but I just wanted to add to make sure not to forget that dogs need to work up to any sort of mileage just like us. They won't complain and could really end up lame/hurt. Just start very slow/short...even if your dog is really active. Then build slowly. Happy Running!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I go running with my two dogs multiple times per week. We usually go on pavement. I have them each in a ruffwear webmaster harnesses, never had any issues with chaffing even on 15 mile runs and full day hikes. Just make sure they fir properly. I also use the iron doggy running leash system. I used to use the ruffwear roamer when I only had one and it was great. I would suggest for when it gets hot and there are longer runs/ hikes to have a collapsible bowl and also I tie poop bags to the leashes. You can bring treats if you think you need them, one of my dogs is highly dog reactive and I will bring him if I think we will run into other dogs. I used to bring a lot of stuff with me but I found that harnesses, leashes, bowl and poop bags are all thats needed. I usually have my own water that I bring with me so I will share alittle with the dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suggest a camelback! We use a small one on our hikes and in hot weather and they're awesome. Our dog would drink from the hose without a problem and it was one less thing to haul, plus the backpack design is super comfy and comes with a couple pockets for keys & pop bags.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the forum, and have a two year old English Setter, for about 6 weeks now. We run on dirt roads, about 8 miles per run so far. I tie his long webbing lead (15 feet or so) around my waist, because holding it is a pain. I also use a collar because I am concerned about chafing with a harness (also he pulls still, and I want him to be responsive). I have few cars to deal with, but when I do, I do pull in the lead to keep him close to me... the one drawback, but it is seldom. He loves running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.