Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a kitten when she was two months old from my parents' friend. They had two black cats who ended up having kittens and I got one. She's a quirky little cat and, by my count, roughly 10 to 11 months old already. But she's super small, half the size of any other cat her age. Our neighbour has some relatives (or friends idk) who have two kittens that are younger than my cat and yet they're twice her size. My cat has already gone into heat several times so she's not possibly that young (and yes I do plan on getting her spayed).

I don't know if she was the runt of the litter or if maybe she's some breed of cat that's supposed to be small or what. She's totally healthy and it doesn't bother her at all so it's not like I'm worried about her. She simply hasn't grown a whole lot. As I always say, she's travel sized.

Does anybody have any idea why?

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is normal, just must be a small breed. How many lbs?
Not sure. I don't have a scale for cats and using human scales isn't very accurate for cats. She'll be going to the vet to get spayed when I save up the money so I might find out then.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not sure. I don't have a scale for cats and using human scales isn't very accurate for cats. She'll be going to the vet to get spayed when I save up the money so I might find out then.
Okay, It's definitely normal for a cat to be small, Do you know what breed she is?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, It's definitely normal for a cat to be small, Do you know what breed she is?
Unfortunately no. A friend of the family gave her to me. They own two black cats, male and female, who I believe live outdoors. They had kittens and were trying to give her away so my parents allowed me to get one.

I do know that my kitten is incredibly smart. I taught her to sit, beg, and speak. She even taught herself a trick where she sits on her hind legs and rubs her face with her two front paws to beg for food. She even plays fetch!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Unfortunately no. A friend of the family gave her to me. They own two black cats, male and female, who I believe live outdoors. They had kittens and were trying to give her away so my parents allowed me to get one.

I do know that my kitten is incredibly smart. I taught her to sit, beg, and speak. She even taught herself a trick where she sits on her hind legs and rubs her face with her two front paws to beg for food. She even plays fetch!
Oh okay, WOW, Never heard of a cat that smart..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Your cat appears to be a tortoiseshell. If the momma cat is solid black (and not colourful like the kitten) the father has to be red or cream.

I was told my cat was a little under a year old when I got him. I mean, the previous owner said he was from last summer's litter and it was late May at the time. He was injured, unvaccinated and intact. I took him to the vet for all this and had him weighed for I didn't have a suitable scale. He weighed 2.6 kg. Both my sister and I were making notes how small he was. I wondered if I had gotten a mini-cat. He did not appear skinny although I'm not good at evaluating feline body condition, and his coat was dull and I thought he wasn't very handsome.

His injury was treated, I had him neutered (in fear of marking), vaccinated and microchipped, and I fed him a good quality cat food. When he had his boosters in the end of summer, he weighed 3.8 kg and was not fat. He had visibly grown a little and his coat was now shining. He had grown over a kilogram (or two pounds).

Now, two years later, he weighs around 4 kg and is the size of a normal house cat. His coat is in good condition and he doesn't actually look that bad although red-and-white didn't appear very tough for me.

I have never raised a kitten so I have no idea how cats grow. I've had doubts if he was younger than I was told or if he was of normal size for a cat of his age or if his nutrition had affected his growth. His matte coat had suggested low-quality feed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your cat appears to be a tortoiseshell. If the momma cat is solid black (and not colourful like the kitten) the father has to be red or cream.

I was told my cat was a little under a year old when I got him. I mean, the previous owner said he was from last summer's litter and it was late May at the time. He was injured, unvaccinated and intact. I took him to the vet for all this and had him weighed for I didn't have a suitable scale. He weighed 2.6 kg. Both my sister and I were making notes how small he was. I wondered if I had gotten a mini-cat. He did not appear skinny although I'm not good at evaluating feline body condition, and his coat was dull and I thought he wasn't very handsome.

His injury was treated, I had him neutered (in fear of marking), vaccinated and microchipped, and I fed him a good quality cat food. When he had his boosters in the end of summer, he weighed 3.8 kg and was not fat. He had visibly grown a little and his coat was now shining. He had grown over a kilogram (or two pounds).

Now, two years later, he weighs around 4 kg and is the size of a normal house cat. His coat is in good condition and he doesn't actually look that bad although red-and-white didn't appear very tough for me.

I have never raised a kitten so I have no idea how cats grow. I've had doubts if he was younger than I was told or if he was of normal size for a cat of his age or if his nutrition had affected his growth. His matte coat had suggested low-quality feed.
That's awesome what you did for him! And as far as we know both my cat's parents were solid black, however I've read that kittens of the same litter can have multiple "fathers" so to speak, as the female will mate with as many males as possible. That could be what happened with my cat. However, just like how your cat gained weight and became the same size as an average housecat, so has mine for the most part. She just took awhile to grow I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts