Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old beagle pup has been on it for almost a month now. He seems to be doing good on it, I just want to know what are your experience with it and anything you noticed with your pup since you started feeding it with this brand?

·
Registered
712 Posts
My pup was on Acana puppy/junior until I just switched to raw. I don't know what the differences would be between small breed puppy vs the puppy/junior but my pup loved it and overall she did well on it. Firm poops but pretty smelly.

She started to scratch a bit more and lick her paws so I decided to switch to raw. She's also always had a bit of dandruff (which is common with her breed - APBT/Am Staff mix) so I'm hoping being on raw will help with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pup was on Acana puppy/junior until I just switched to raw. I don't know what the differences would be between small breed puppy vs the puppy/junior but my pup loved it and overall she did well on it. Firm poops but pretty smelly.

She started to scratch a bit more and lick her paws so I decided to switch to raw. She's also always had a bit of dandruff (which is common with her breed - APBT/Am Staff mix) so I'm hoping being on raw will help with that.
I'm also noticing itchiness and dandruff on our beagle. I was thinking that maybe it was the summer heat that was causing it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
my pup had dandruff before it started getting hot here (I'm in Canada) so I'm going to wait a few more weeks with her on her raw diet to see if there any changes.

I heard that oatmeal baths can help with dandruff? Or you could do an allergy test to see if it's the food or dust around the house?

I found this article doing a quick search on dog dandruff

What Causes Dandruff in Dogs ?*And How to Treat It - Petful

·
Registered
256 Posts
My AmStaff mix had some dandruff and itchy skin as well.
Adding coconut oil to her diet helped a lot! Shiny coat, hardly any itching and far less dandruff.
On top of that I switched to grain free and no chicken protein in any kind of form.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my pup had dandruff before it started getting hot here (I'm in Canada) so I'm going to wait a few more weeks with her on her raw diet to see if there any changes.

I heard that oatmeal baths can help with dandruff? Or you could do an allergy test to see if it's the food or dust around the house?

I found this article doing a quick search on dog dandruff

What Causes Dandruff in Dogs ?*And How to Treat It - Petful

Thanks for the link, will definitely check it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My AmStaff mix had some dandruff and itchy skin as well.
Adding coconut oil to her diet helped a lot! Shiny coat, hardly any itching and far less dandruff.
On top of that I switched to grain free and no chicken protein in any kind of form.
My neighbor uses virgin coconut oil on his Pit, he swears by it. How do you make the ratios?

·
Registered
256 Posts
My neighbor uses virgin coconut oil on his Pit, he swears by it. How do you make the ratios?
Sorry, yes, virgin coconut oil.

My dog is around 50lbs at the moment. She gets 2-3 teaspoons every other day. I mix it with her food, but she actually licks it from the spoon as well :)

I started with one teaspoon per day and worked it up to 3 a day until her coat/skin was better (hardly any dandruff and hardly any scratching) and then switched over to 2-3 teaspoons every other day.
On top of that she gets home baked cookies with coconut oil (1-2 per day), but since they're baked I'm not sure how much of the good stuff is still left over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, yes, virgin coconut oil.

My dog is around 50lbs at the moment. She gets 2-3 teaspoons every other day. I mix it with her food, but she actually licks it from the spoon as well :)

I started with one teaspoon per day and worked it up to 3 a day until her coat/skin was better (hardly any dandruff and hardly any scratching) and then switched over to 2-3 teaspoons every other day.
On top of that she gets home baked cookies with coconut oil (1-2 per day), but since they're baked I'm not sure how much of the good stuff is still left over.
So if it's one teaspoon per day then I should give Sam half a teaspoon per meal since I feed him twice a day.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So if it's one teaspoon per day then I should give Sam half a teaspoon per meal since I feed him twice a day.
You can, you can also just give him 1 teaspoon in the morning and that's it. You don't need to divide it up by meal if you don't want to.
I, for example, only give her the coconut oil in the morning, for no other reason than me not wanting to deal with it twice a day :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can, you can also just give him 1 teaspoon in the morning and that's it. You don't need to divide it up by meal if you don't want to.
I, for example, only give her the coconut oil in the morning, for no other reason than me not wanting to deal with it twice a day :D
Well i'm doing it twice in a day for now just to introduce it in his system, I've read somewhere that you need to do it slowly or else the dog might have diarrhea or slippery poop :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Makes sense, that's why I wrote I started out with one teaspoon a day, so to make sure she handles it okay ;)
How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes sense, that's why I wrote I started out with one teaspoon a day, so to make sure she handles it okay ;)
How much does he weigh?
I'm guessing she's about 5 kilos now, the vet will be back on the 24th, so I will know when he gets weighed again.

One quick question, should I start feeding my 3 month old pup with dry kibble? I still serve him moist kibble thinking that it will make his digestion easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts