Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to hear from anyone who has a Cocker Spaniel/ Poodle mix. What is your dog like with children/strangers/other dogs? What was puppy hood like? How was house training? How about other training? Any info would be greatly appreciated. And if you can highly recommend your breeder, would love that info as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have a cockapoo and I've been working professionally with dogs for 5 years so I've met quite a few. Every one I've met has been lovely. They have all been extremely friendly with people, dogs, and other animals. However, I've known some purebred poodles that have been snappy or fearful, and I've heard in some lines cockers can be as well so it's important that you talk to the breeder about their dogs' temperaments, meet the parents, and make sure you properly socialize your puppy.

I can't really remember too much of Mia's puppyhood because I was pretty young when we got her. I was the one who did a lot of her training and she learned really quickly. They're pretty smart dogs, but not so smart that they're a challenge. House training was pretty straightforward with Mia. We crate trained her and limited her to the kitchen but she didn't have many accidents at all. By the time she was around 6 months we were able to leave her alone for short periods of time in the house. I don't remember house training ever being a problem.

This mix tends to be medium energy. They enjoy playing, hiking, training, etc, but are also pretty laid back and like cuddling and hanging out as well. In the US the American cocker is usually the breed crossed on the spaniel side and they're medium energy. In the UK it's sometimes an English cocker instead and they can be higher energy so that could make a difference. Toy and mini poodles tend to be low to medium energy and standard poodles can be low to high depending on the lines and purpose (show vs hunting dogs for example).

I would not recommend the breeder we got Mia from, but I don't think she breeds anymore anyways. You have to be careful- there are a lot of puppy mills and backyard breeders that breed cockapoos but there are some breeders out there that are more ethical. I've found a couple that seem pretty good to me. Where are you located? Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable publicly posting it on the internet.

Also consider adopting from a shelter or rescue. Cockapoos can be harder to find in rescue but I'll see an adult or senior from time to time. I also see puppies occasionally because there's a rescue nearish to me that rescues puppy mill dogs so they always have a variety of small breed purebreds and mixes. There are also plenty of poodle, doodle, cocker spaniel, and cockapoo specific rescues that will have cockapoos and similar breeds.

If you go through a breeder, make sure they health test for the following things. If they don't, ask them why and ask them how they prevent these diseases without health testing. "Our dogs are just healthy/have never had problems" is a BS answer, they need to be proactive about preventing diseases and disorders. Plus some diseases don't cause issues until later in life anyways- so a young breeding dog might seem healthy but develop problems later in life after having passed those problems on to the puppies.

CERF: Both poodles and cockers can have eye problems like cataracts and glaucoma, so make sure the parents have had their eyes examined.

OFA: Evaluates for luxating patella in the smaller breeds such as the toy and mini poodle and hip dysplasia in the larger breeds such as the spaniel and standard poodle.

prcd-PRA: Both cockers and poodles are predisposed to progressive rod cone degeneration which is a recessive hereditary disease and can be prevented by a genetic test to determine whether or not the parents are carriers.

I've seen some breeders test for von Willebrand's disease too since poodles can have that but that's not common in the breed so many breeders opt out.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
You are not looking for a breeder when looking for a mixed breed. You are likely to find one at a local shelter.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have only met two cockapoos in my life and both were bad tempered, snappy, irritable dogs. :/ I can't make any good recommendations. But I DO suggest a good breeder, due to how the genetic faults line up on both spaniels and poodles. Even though they are breeding designer mutts, and you're paying a fortune for a mongrel, if it's a good breeder you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
We have a poodle/bishon mix, but two doors down a neighbor has a cockapoo, who is very docile and well behaved. I believe any mix that is half poodle will be a great dog, or at least the potential is there. Poodles are very smart, sometimes a bit stubborn and opinionated.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I do not have a Cocker x Poodle but do have a puppy who is from a Purebred Golden Retriever and the father was 3/4 Poodle 1/4 Australian Shepherd. She shows a lot of the poodle in her, long legs, narrow face and is really smart. She is a blue merle from the Aussie and you would never guess her breed just to look at her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts