Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14-year-old beagle mix had been doing really well until a few months ago when he started having coughing fits. Fast forward to several vet visits, X-rays and different medication combos, and he's been diagnosed with tracheal collapse. He is currently on three different medications, and we've been able to keep this at bay, but his attacks are slowly but surely getting more frequent and worse. Previously he was able to sleep through the night without having any coughing attacks; now he has been waking up and having them. I do not want him to be unnecessarily suffering but in all other aspects of his life, he's doing ok (eating, peeing, pooping, walking around the yard). I'm just heartbroken. My vet had a really nice but frank conversation with me about options - basically when we get to the point where we're having to max out the doses of his meds, there isn't anything else we can do for him, besides euthanasia. My heart really hurts, and I'd love to hear anyone else's experience with this awful disease.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts