Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into Beagles lately (bugging my parents for another dog and am totally obsessed with Beagles!). I have a few questions about them that I hope you Beagle owners or anyone that has experience with Beagles could answer!

1. What motivates your Beagle to work?
2. Have you trained them to be okay off-leash?
3. Are they good in agility, dockdiving, and obedience?
4. Have you trained your dog to quiet on command?
5. How much physical exercise do they need daily?
6. Are they good with other dogs and cats?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 2 beagle mixes, and Echo acts all beagle. I've also been around quite a few.

Beagles are EXTREMELY nose and food driven. I've done most of their training with food and it works well.

Mine are fine off leash, although Echo follows her nose a lot so she does require more watching. She comes and doesn't run off, but she has a tendency to wander without realizing it. Not all beagles can be trained off leash, and you have to start very young to teach them to pay attention to you and not their nose.

I've seen some that are good in in agility and obedience, but they definitely prefer hunting and such.

Echo has the beagle bay, but she knows when to be quiet, and doesn't bark too much.

Beagles need a lot of exercise. Although not very hyper, they have long lasting energy and get fat very easily.

In my experience, beagles are fairly amiable with other animals.

I personally love beagles, but be warned that they are stubborn and sometimes their hunting drive can be very frustrating!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 beagle mixes, and Echo acts all beagle. I've also been around quite a few.

Beagles are EXTREMELY nose and food driven. I've done most of their training with food and it works well.

Mine are fine off leash, although Echo follows her nose a lot so she does require more watching. She comes and doesn't run off, but she has a tendency to wander without realizing it. Not all beagles can be trained off leash, and you have to start very young to teach them to pay attention to you and not their nose.

I've seen some that are good in in agility and obedience, but they definitely prefer hunting and such.

Echo has the beagle bay, but she knows when to be quiet, and doesn't bark too much.

Beagles need a lot of exercise. Although not very hyper, they have long lasting energy and get fat very easily.

In my experience, beagles are fairly amiable with other animals.

I personally love beagles, but be warned that they are stubborn and sometimes their hunting drive can be very frustrating!
Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a beagle mix myself( the other half of him is daschund) and he is the sweetest thing ever! The only way you can get him to do something is with food and treats. My dog is somtimes good off leash unless there is something like a squirrel or a bunny in his sight but he will come when called. Even though he has like 25% of daschund In him he still will do a lot of angility is great at jumping and loves to swim after things at the pond. He is pretty obedient but somtes he gets too lazy and gives up. Our dogs know to be quiet in the house but he still barks a lot outside and howls a few times a week. He needs quite lot of exercise to stay in shape probably about 30 minutes a day. And lastly he is great with all animals he meets. In our house he has lived with a dog, 2 cats, chickens, and guineapigs, and has never had a problem with any animal. I love beagles and I would really recomend one. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a beagle mix myself( the other half of him is daschund) and he is the sweetest thing ever! The only way you can get him to do something is with food and treats. My dog is somtimes good off leash unless there is something like a squirrel or a bunny in his sight but he will come when called. Even though he has like 25% of daschund In him he still will do a lot of angility is great at jumping and loves to swim after things at the pond. He is pretty obedient but somtes he gets too lazy and gives up. Our dogs know to be quiet in the house but he still barks a lot outside and howls a few times a week. He needs quite lot of exercise to stay in shape probably about 30 minutes a day. And lastly he is great with all animals he meets. In our house he has lived with a dog, 2 cats, chickens, and guineapigs, and has never had a problem with any animal. I love beagles and I would really recomend one. :)
Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts