Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i've been dreaming of a six month backpacking trip across SE Asia for years, and once I adopted my puppy I realized I had to put that idea out of my mind.

I've already taken my puppy on a couple of long roadtrips and have gone hiking and camping. It looks like I'm resigned to places that are within driving distance here in the US and Canada.

But I'm wondering if anyone here has taken their dog(s) on a pleasure trip abroad. How did it go? Would you recommend it?

What are *good* places to vacation with your dog? I'm specifically interested in adventure travel, and it would only be after my puppy is an adult and well trained.

·
Registered
951 Posts
in order to prevent the spread of disease, there are generally very strict quarantine regulations for dogs moving across international borders

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not worth the trouble and very stressful for the dogs (if you go by air that is). One of the biggest sacrifice of having dogs, travelling becomes very complicated. I haven't been back to my home country for almost 5 years:(.
The exception is if you are living in Europe, where you can go by car and it's much easier for pets to go between countries. I wouldn't mind a road-trip from Norway to Spain during summer...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mhm, airtravel is scary. The whole "where pets go" is not well organized in my (only 1 trip) experience. '

For an example, nobody could tell me where I would have to pick my puppy up once the plain landed. Stuff like that. Travelling dogs is not very common so much of the airline staff might not be very knowledgeable about it.

I had paranoia level fear of them losing her somewhere.

Plus it is a scary environment for the dog.

It can be a different story if you have a very small dog (I think it was max 8kg with cage). If they fit that weight range then you can take them in cabin - as long as there are not other dogs travelling.

Car is the way to go tbh :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some good news!
I've had pets in the past who have both flown and done long trips in the car (across europe) and they are very calm and happy animals.
I also just recently got a new puppy and am determined to make travelling work.

The only problem can be the cost and the extra hassle, for example is it worth paying hundreds of dollars, pounds or euros to take them with just for a week long trip?
No.

In that case you can always leave them at a friend/family member's house, maybe your dog walker (if you have one) can take him/her or even the kennel (though be careful about it being a nice environment for your pup that they enjoy)

However if you, like me, plan to travel across the globe whilst being a dog owner i say that it is definitely possible.
Even though it isn't a very common thing, air travel with pets is becoming more accessible and from personal experience and research their standards are pretty high.
There are so many other factors to think about as well such as where to stay when you have a dog as not many hotels take them.
But when there is a will there is a way and we already stayed in a hotel with Ellie when she was 11 weeks old and she didn't have a problem :)

We will be flying together to Switzerland in a month and then to Sweden later in the year as i'll be moving there.

What i'm saying is, yes travelling with pets can be difficult, expensive and should certainly not be done every week. And even though sacrifices should be made, i don't think there is a reason one should not be able to be a dog owner AND travel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.