Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm moving to a new area (the SF Bay area, the most expensive and tightest rental market in the US) and I've been looking at ads for rent online. I find it so depressing that virtually all of them say no pets (saw one allowing cats). I'd rather rent a house with a yard but I can't find any being advertised.
I've been living in a house with my dog so I'm worried that being forced to take an apartment will make barking an issue (my dog sometimes barks at sounds outside like car doors or talking or knocking).

Anybody else had to look for a new place lately and had any luck getting around the dog prejudice of landlords/complexes?

·
Registered
761 Posts
What if you offered an extra deposit and wrote into the lease you'd be responsible for all damages done by your dog if any? I have no clue as I own my own house and plan to never move.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if you offered an extra deposit and wrote into the lease you'd be responsible for all damages done by your dog if any? I have no clue as I own my own house and plan to never move.
Posted via Mobile Device
The tenant being responsible for all damages beyond normal wear and tear (by their dog or themselves) is always in a lease. I'd have expected an extra deposit anyway. The advertisements say "no pets/dogs/animals" so it seems the landlord/manager is already prejudiced and wouldn't even listen to me telling them that my dog doesn't chew, has never done any damage to property or furniture or even had a single accident.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sometimes if your dog has a canine good citizen certificate and/or a recommendation from another landlord, that can help. And when you move in, perhaps you can bring cookies and/or beer to your neighbors as a "I'm sorry, my dog may take a month or so to get use to being in a apartment and I'll be training them to be quiet" can help ease complaints. My mom's dogs always bark at outside noises and the first two weeks she was traveling were terrible, but now the dogs are use to being in strange hotels and hearing weird noises, so they ignore them.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Here ya go, you can change your rent price range there at the side too: http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/California/San-Francisco/pets-4ib/

Hope you find a place, I hate how many places say "no pets" and not "no kids!" :p
My dog is cleaner and quieter than about 70% of the kids I see... lolz

edit:
I think one thing that might help is to set up a doggy interview with the landlord if they are worried so they can see how clean, friendly and well behaved the dog is. Offer to let them come see your house if your comfortable with that and they can see that you are clean and the dog doesn't/hasn't ruined your home. Recommendations written by past landlords, references.. ect

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think one thing that might help is to set up a doggy interview with the landlord if they are worried so they can see how clean, friendly and well behaved the dog is. Offer to let them come see your house if your comfortable with that and they can see that you are clean and the dog doesn't/hasn't ruined your home. Recommendations written by past landlords, references.. ect
I would be sooo screwed. Not that the house has been torn apart or anything, but Bree is loud and mean-sounding when she meets most strangers at our house. She'd probably be labeled a dangerous dog - better hope I don't have to move!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Sometimes if your dog has a canine good citizen certificate and/or a recommendation from another landlord, that can help. And when you move in, perhaps you can bring cookies and/or beer to your neighbors as a "I'm sorry, my dog may take a month or so to get use to being in a apartment and I'll be training them to be quiet" can help ease complaints. My mom's dogs always bark at outside noises and the first two weeks she was traveling were terrible, but now the dogs are use to being in strange hotels and hearing weird noises, so they ignore them.
We posted at the same time. I LOVE that idea!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
After a few weeks of torturous hunting, I finally signed a lease this weekend and am in the process of moving right now. Hang in there! You'll find something!

I don't envy you trying to find an apartment, though. I rented a house. An apartment would have been completely impossible for me. Best of luck to you! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a friend who availed the services of CorpRental. I guess they find the house/apartment for you. So that would be less hassle on your part.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If it were me I'd check craigslist for houses even if I had to drive a bit to work. I hate sharing walls and outdoor space and house landlords are usually easier to convince to allow dogs than management companies who run apartment complexes are.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yes its a pain,always no pets,no dogs over 20 ibs,no dogs over 40 ibs or no Rottweilers. I moved 6 times in the last decade.
Counting parents house and bording home. First place didn't allow dogs,and I wanted one so moved. first apartment didn't allow any dog over 20 ibs so moved, second had troubles with manager,third could no longer afford and more troubles with manager not fixing stuff. Fourth never really wanted to be their but had no other options so moved. I`m in a rented mobile home now in a very small town of less then a 100. I prefer my own place over an apartment,sharing walls,floors and having no private yard is not as fun,or any at all is not as fun. I`ve been refused at rental homes as well for my dog so it's not really a easy answer.
Finding a place is not always a sure thing.

Okay check newspapers,craiglist and rental sites,try to talk to people to see if they know a place. Sometimes ads will lie they may say they don't allow any pets but then allow cats and small dogs,or they may say they allow dogs but not actually specific breeds or over a certain size. Call them to make sure.

My manager has meet my dog who can be intimidating looking and sounding but turned out all right. He was a dog person and had no fears of them.
I also got my dog accounted as a companion animal, which is if a doctor or psychiatrist says a animal will help you they can sign a paper conforming it. It's not a sure thing like a service animal but it could help.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
When my SO and I were moving to San Diego, there were some really good leads at Pet Friendly Apartment Rentals and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets. Looks like they list San Francisco. I find living in a "pet-friendly" apartment is much easier dealing with pet issues. Even though I have annoying neighbors (sometimes their dogs bark a lot or they don't clean up after them), at least I'm not getting evicted for having a pet. Moving is a pain no matter what. Ugh. We moved into a 1 BR because the price was right when we moved here last summer, and now we're looking at 2 BRs, but I don't know that I want to move again in such a short time. We moved 2x last year. It's such a hassle, especially with pets.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's so difficult finding an apartment that will A. Take a large breed dog and B. Take a German Shepherd, so I feel your pain!

I haven't had to move from my current place yet, but I am -dreading- it when I have to start my search.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Lol, I had enough trouble finding an apartment without a dog. I'm probably going to live with my parents next year and then get an apartment the year after with my friends. But what might have caused difficulties:
-4 BR minimum
-Close enough to UVM and Champlain College so that we could walk back alone from classes at night without being mugged.
-Bunny friendly :) (wasn't necessary though, just strongly preferred)
-We had a lower budget, but there were 5 or 6 of us and we were going to split it up, so it wasn't super low.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find an apartment if I had a dog too.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I moved around a lot with my dog(s), and yes, it was not as easy as it would've been without. But it always worked out in the end.
Many of the "pet friendly" places I looked at were pretty much dumps where the owner had no interest in doing any kind of maintenance. And while I don't mind paying a pet damage deposit, I don't see why as a dog owner I should live in a place with a torn carper and non- functioning appliances for the price of a luxury apartment..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it were me I'd check craigslist for houses even if I had to drive a bit to work. I hate sharing walls and outdoor space and house landlords are usually easier to convince to allow dogs than management companies who run apartment complexes are.
I hate sharing walls (or laundry facilities) with others too and that's a big reason to really want a house in addition to having a yard to play with my dog. Unfortunately it seems to be 100% impossible. The rental market in this area is completely INSANE. It's the only real job center for certain industries so people are forced to move there and there's never any new housing inventory so landlords are practically foaming at the mouths with greed trying to suck every penny from tenants who have no other options.

The only houses I can find are 25+ miles away which from what I hear leads to an hour and a half commute. Any commute over 40 minutes would stealing away time I could spend playing with my dog.

I've been looking on craigslist for places to rent since people living in the area say it's the only place to find rentals though it does seem like most of the listing are the corporate apartment complexes (and adding the +dogs filter reduces the results to almost nothing). Most of the complexes(and some private owners) seem to be taking advantage of pet owners by trying to tack on a monthly pet rent and sometimes a very large pet "fee" (neither of these are a deposit, they're just free money for the landlord).

I've never understood how so many landlords could not have ever had a dog considering how many dogs there are in the country. With the kinds of restrictions one always see it's apparent that they don't know anything about dogs. Here's one in an ad I just looked at:
"We will accept one small to medium-sized adult neutered dog of most breeds for an additional $30 per month plus renter's insurance with liability insurance."

Why the size restriction? Small dogs can't hold urine as long as bigger dogs and tend to have more behavioral problems than big dogs (especially the toy breeds). The bigger the dog, usually the more mellow.

Why the liability insurance? If a dog bites a human, then that still has absolutely nothing to do with the landlord. Still, human aggression in dogs is extremely rare. In fixed dogs there's almost no chance of human aggression. I've never understood liability insurance for any reason anyway - a person enters at their own risk and if it's a genuine accident then you can't blame the owner/occupant.

Sorry for the ranting, this process kind of makes me a bit depressed and lose a bit of faith in humanity. I just can't understand how so many humans can lack humanity.

·
Registered
376 Posts
We have a friend who has had to have endless room mates for years to stay in SF. Even if money is no object it's like some parts of Manhattan, just finding a vacancy at all then one that takes dogs gah...

I love the idea of finding a place in one of the surrounding areas and kind of "gifting" the landlord or super. Beer, pizza, an offered damage deposit can all open doors for ya sometimes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts