Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've come to this forum in hope that you can help me with my current situation.
I have 3 rescues. 1st is a 4yr old rott mix male (Barca) that we've had since a pup and the last one which I found on the street 2 weeks ago is a 2yr old female pitbull of some sort (Lulu).

I came home the other day to find them fighting. He attacked her and she continued after the first split.
From the wounds, it looked like they had been fighting on and off for sometime.

She was the one that was mainly injured but he became traumatized and only wanted to get as far away as possible from her. couple of days later he still shakes when he sees her. We have been for walks together and they're fine but he doesnt want to be alone with her.

She on the other hand seems super chilled and wants to be friends again

Is there anything I can do to restore his confidence so we can all live happily ever after?:huddle:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would you leave an unknown stray unsupervised with your dog while you are at work? I would suggest starting by reevaluating the situation you leave the dogs in when you are not there.
Fair enough. At what point do you leave them alone then? Mind you this was after a few days of observation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say you should never leave them alone unsupervised again. Is it possible to leave them in separate rooms in the house when you are not there? Or one inside and one outside, alternating days?
I now have one inside and one outside which is fine for now but ideally they should both be able to enjoy being outdoors all the time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I see others have taken my first opinion and expressed it clearly. That was very foolish and not thought through well.

Keep them separated and only bring them together when you are home-- and not alone. You need a willing, experienced training partner in this to make it work. I suggest you find a professional well versed in positive reinforcement or a behaviouralist to help you.

The other suggestion is to rehome the stray. It's so not fair to your male to be forced to live with the stray and to be in fear. Fear only leads to more fights, and possibly death.

Have you taken her to vet/shelters to see if she has a microchip? She may have a home.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
Hi Barca,

Welcome to the Dog Forum! First of all, I want to tell you that I think it's admirable for you to take in rescue dogs.

I agree, though, with RaiderBaider that rehoming the new dog is going to be best for both dogs. Not all dogs will get along, and Barca doesn't need to have his home life disrupted by a new dog that's going to make him feel tense and fearful. And, it sounds like Lulu needs an owner who can devote himself or herself to her needs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I only began leaving my 13 yo collie alone in the house with my 8 month JRT after 6 weeks of observation, and me watching how the Collie corrected the JRT without injury. With injuries already inflicted, I'd say if you are DETERMINED to keep them both, then you will need to shell out the money for a behaviorist to work with both dogs. If lots of time and money isn't something you're willing to commit to this new pup, then re-homing is a viable solution. I would indicate that the new pup should be an only pup since there is a history of dog-dog aggression.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In my opinion bully breeds (pit bulls and the like) should never be left alone with another dog because they tend to be dog aggressive. And as you saw, they don't like to back down from a dog fight. Especially since your two have already gotten aggressive with each other, they should be separated 100% of the time you can't watch them very closely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts