Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started threads about a similar topic before but not about this specific thing. My dog gets easily riled up. She gets mad at dogs, cats, birds, flies, by the sound of my gate closing, basically anything. I can snap her out of her rampage when she's mad at small stuff but when it comes to dogs or cats it seems IMPOSSIBLE to snap her out of it. I could probably shoot a gun right next to her ear and she still wouldn't stop. She just goes off! She turns crazy honestly. I'm not sure if its because she's aggressive or just insecure. She seems pretty confident but who knows. Feel free to ask me more in depth questions about her behavior if you need to.

I've tried a lot of things to try to snap her out of her rampage but nothing seems to work. I tried to stand in front of her until she calmed down but that seemed to make her more angry, I tried to distract her, I've tried tips from trainers on YouTube, I've tried tips from Cesar Millan, I don't know just a lot of things. Once she notices a dog or a cat is when she starts getting angry. It escalates REALLY quickly after that.

If you guys could please tell me things that have helped relax or calm your dog when they're in that heightened state of mind I would be grateful. Thanks :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
How much opportunity do you have to train at a distance that your dog notices the trigger (the dog or cat) but does not go crazy (leash is still lose, dog interested in treats, dog not all stiff and tense).
Those opportunities to work with triggers at an acceptable (for your dog) distance, and avoiding circumstances that will set your dog off (barking and lunging) are important for counter-conditioning, BAT & LAT (google is your friend) to work.
I have had good success with the Look at That game (LAT) and reading a book (Control Unleashed) but I have to drive to the suburbs to practice, as in my own neighbourhood, space is too tight and there are too many surprises (narrow winding roads with a drop off straight into the lake, not even a rough shoulder and cujo dogs tied and fenced).
As for when your dog 'loses it', just get out of there fast. The longer the behaviour is practiced, the more ingrained it becomes. It's an adrenalin rush, and if there is fear involved, your dog will believe the behaviour keeps him safe, if it's prey drive only, the behaviour is highly rewarding. Standing and waiting for him to calm down can just keep it going, so you should try to make an about turn and away. Once you are away and your dog is paying attention to you again, you can treat him, or sit with him. Calm stroking along his back can be calming. I find the the 'pushing exercise' from Natural Dog Training is also calming but needs to taught first.
It's not always possible to avoid triggers, so I too am interested in 'how to handle over threshold events'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts