Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around them for over 30 years now, I started working for a breeder of silver mini's when I was 16 and have been hooked on them ever since.

Now I'm mostly into the standards, but have had many wonderful mini's.

Currently I have a parti color standard. I actually swore I would never have a parti color since I worked too many years with show poodles and followed PCA rules. But when I found Chewie he was so close to dead, I couldn't leave him. He was also very neglected and abused, getting his medical problems taken care of was the easy part, the mental baggage he came with took a lot longer and there are still a few issues to work on, but for the most part, he's now a healthy, happy go lucky boy, my 74 pound lap dog and constant shadow. I guess in the end, he's still a standard in every way I love standards, just one of a different color, or rather, colors, lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad you like your dog so much, personally me and Poodles don't get along, we always end up fighting, lol. I prefer bully breeds, but I can appreciate the beauty of a well trimmed Poodle :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO, Undead, then I guess it's a good thing I have a long history of grooming poodles and try to keep Chewie in a nice trim. I work nights and never have a set schedual so sometimes it's hard to keep up with him as much as I would like, but I never let him get to where I can't stand to look at him.

And I also have a thing for the bully breeds, I've been dealing with a difficult boxer for a year now and if you had seen my pug cross, you would have thought him to be a mini pit. Plus I would take an English bulldog in a heartbeat. I have dealt with and loved pitbulls, mastiffs, bullmastiffs, great danes and won't even go into the problems I had with a very aggrssive and stubburn chow cross I had for 15 years, granted chows are not bully, just bull headed, :D.

I just love a standard poodles overall personality, they can be any dog you want them to be and basically have been. They have pulled sleds in the Anarondac (sp) race, been search and rescue dogs, lead the blind, assistance dogs, accepted and exelled in field trial, wonderful retrievers and pointers, high society foo foo dogs, but mostly for me, just plain companions I can take hiking, I'm able to lose myself in the wonder of nature and concentrate on the trail without having to worry about the dog at the same time.

Hiking pics with Chewie

·
Registered
181 Posts
We used to own a black standard Poodle when I was very young, he was very wild, and even bit me, he was very weird, lol, but I did meet some of the nicest Poodles around, I just don't like the ones owned by rich people, since they aren't well trained, also I prefer the way you trim your Poodle over this type of haircut:

After him we had a Bullmastiff male, the sweetest dog you could ever meet, he was a champion. And now I have my Boxer, which should be in a sanitarium with the rest of the Boxers, lol, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've also taken care of many other dogs for friends when they were on vacations (it sucks when I have to return the dog to them :()

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gorgeous Poodle Barbie! I used to own a mini and like Chewie was my shadow and companion. She was the best dog I had ever owned. Only thing is that she always came and sat between my baby daughter (2 yrs) and me. She would squeeze herself in no matter what. She also used to take her pacifier and put it in her mouth. No one could take it away from her. She would clench her teeth and hang on to it. There was always some kind of rivalry on the part of the poodle. The poodle was very protective of me. She bit my husband once when we were playing rough one day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts