Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Are there any other owners of Anatolians or Kangals out there?

We love our two boys and they think they are part of the Family. One, Chubby is pretty much a full-time inside dog while Zipper is an outside dog except for the summer. They are both born Guard dogs and let us (and anyone else in a two mile radius) know if anyone or thing is in or near our 5 acre yard.

In my avatar they are about 9 month old puppies and that is a 4 foot wide pool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I am looking for Kangals! Where did you get yours? I am in Oklahoma

Hello.
Can you tell me where you got your Kangals?
Hi,

Are there any other owners of Anatolians or Kangals out there?

We love our two boys and they think they are part of the Family. One, Chubby is pretty much a full-time inside dog while Zipper is an outside dog except for the summer. They are both born Guard dogs and let us (and anyone else in a two mile radius) know if anyone or thing is in or near our 5 acre yard.

In my avatar they are about 9 month old puppies and that is a 4 foot wide pool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Melanie,

Our breeder passed away shortly after we got our dogs, but his dogs moved on to "Akard's Arces" in north Texas not far from you, I can't post links yet, but its easy to find via google. "Woody Acres Jake" is one of his dogs and "Woody Acres Caplan" is the sire of our two Anatolians. Note that these are Anatolian Shepard dogs, not true Kangal dogs if you talk to certain Kangal aficionados. We've dealt with both types, both in the US and in Turkey and don't see a difference, but thats just us. Kangals are harder to find then the Anatolians in the US, but there is a breeder in Weatherford Tx., just west of Ft. Worth that had a pair of true Kangals that occasionally has puppies. Kangals were NOT RECOGNIZED by the AKC while Anatolians are the last time I checked.

These dogs are very much "special needs" dogs. If your in the country and have acreage its a lot easier, if you have livestock for them to guard, given the proper training they will be in heaven. One issue in OK/TX area is that they are not really hot climate dogs, they survive but shed about a standard poodle worth of hair each day in the spring. Both of ours go crazy and start dancing when that first cold front comes through in the fall.

If your not in the country where they have a lot of space, they need long, long walks. I used to walk them 5 miles every night and there were always ready to do more. They are also as strong as a small horse, both of mine can easily (and have) drag me across the ground and I weight 300 pounds and was quite strong. I assume you've read all the standard stuff about their guarding habits and such so I just added the stuff I usually don't see in their descriptions.

Cheers!

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Kangals are supposed to be more proactively guardy than the Anatolian. Having never personally met one I can't speak from personal experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kangals are supposed to be more proactively guardy than the Anatolian. Having never personally met one I can't speak from personal experience.
Can't say I have proof one way or the other, but I can say my Anatolians are 90% full time guard/protectors and 10% normal dog. Remember that this is a thousands of years old breed that has been bred as a guard dog for at least the last 4,000 years. They are very good at what they do.

At first you think they are just stupid when you start trying to train them, but you soon realize that everything they do they filter through their security system. You give them a command and they sit there for 20 seconds evaluating the command against the current security status, "Code green, we can play now", or "Code red, go away I'm busy". I used to repeat the command, but I've learned that they always understand the command 100% of the time, they just need to process the current security before they act on it.

You just have to see them at work to really appreciate how strong their guarding instincts are. They use tiny puffs of grass as camouflage, they work in pairs, one distracts the intruder by barking like mad while the other silently skulks through the cover to come around behind. Neither will eat anything from a stranger, no matter what it is. When they eat, its never in a hurry, you throw them something, say a bagel with peanut butter, they catch it in their mouth, carry it somewhere and then put it down on the ground and analyze it for 20-30 seconds before they eat it even when we give it to them.

Its 100% true that they decide when they need to act and you don't, at least not by your commands. They are very good at reading your emotional state, if your relaxed, they relax, if you get tense, they get tense and become more on guard. If you are not a very relaxed calm person, these are not the dogs for you unless they are working dogs and spend all their time with your livestock.

One last thing, they never ever forget anything security related. If a car drove by slowly once, they'll remember and every time it goes by they give it a few extra Barks. They closest they have come to killing me is when I was walking them once and a UPS (enemy #1A with FedEX #2) truck drove by on a four lane highway before I saw it and they dragged me out into the middle of the road and scared the crap out of the driver before I got control of them.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I know, I have a TM......

In talking with folks who've run LGDs with their flocks and herds, they say that they get Pyrs or Kuvasz for "close in" guarding, as these dogs usually stay right with the herds. They get Anatolians for "middle ground" guarding as they range a bit further from the herds but still stay fairly close. While Kangals are the "outer layer" and are more likely to proactively range out to look for trouble.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think many of the Kangal bloodlines have a higher drive than the many of the anatolian bloodlines but think the real difference is mim.
Yes Kangals tend to work more like a TM given the chance, the maremma will stay back with the flock & the TM & Kangals will do the boarder patrol & any trespasser are swiftly dealt with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Love your TM, I can't even imagine the shedding based on what I go through with my Anatolians, we have hair everywhere in the yard. The Singers are just great looking dogs too, always wanted one but never had a run I thought would hold one.

I like to listen to the Anatolians howl, but the only time mine howl is when ones gets a walk and the other is left at home so its not a happy howl. Sometimes they do an air raid siren sound in their sleep, it was really unsettling the first time this happened, we thought it was a tornado alert. We've never heard them do this when they were awake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts