Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been happy with the Advantix and Advantage ever since I started using it, and I am strongly considering the Trifexis oral protection. I wondered if anyone has noticed any bad side effects from that, I am also interested if it works well.

Thank you for any information.

Regards,
Milli,

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but I use it and have for years with no problems. I highly recommend it! Sometimes you have to get creative to get it in them because it tastes yucky, but that's my only complaint! (I cover it in peanut butter and wrap it in a slice of deli meat and they gobble it up!)
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: FosterMom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak for everyone but I use it and have for years with no problems. I highly recommend it! Sometimes you have to get creative to get it in them because it tastes yucky, but that's my only complaint! (I cover it in peanut butter and wrap it in a slice of deli meat and they gobble it up!)
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL I would eat it myself that way! Thank you for your answer. One more question: what to do about ticks? Trifexis doesn't protect against those, right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to order the trifexis and got a message that 'Sentinel is back', it is a lot cheaper than Trifexis and seems to have more stars. Anyone knows about anything about that brand?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Sentinel is very good, I've used it on my dogs. It kills fleas as well but I don't recommend it in place of topical flea prevention but to be used in conjunction.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I agree with Holly on the sentinel. I don't think it works well enough alone to be used as your only flea prevention.

If you use just Trifexis, you will have to use topical frontline, advantix etc as well for ticks. Or get a prevntic collar, but I've never used one personally so I can't vouch for how well they work.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, that is perfect information, thank you very much.

The reason I want to start Trifexis is that our Missy does not react well to topical treatment at all at all. When I put it on, she becomes frantic and I feel that it is not the right thing for me to keep doing.

On top of that, the Frontline, Advantix and Advantage didn't work like I expected.

So the Sentinel is out.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Regards,
Milli.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No More Trifexis for us!

We've had our nine year old Shiloh on Trifexis for a total of nine months. Twice after giving her this poison, she broke out in hives and the white part of her eye balls swelled. She looked horrible. Other symptoms that she has displayed are vomiting, hair loss, lethargy and diarrhea. We were not sure that the Trifexis was the cause of all of her ailments and the vets just wanted to charge enormous fees to keep her and watch her. She was prescribed benadryl for the hives and eye swelling which did help. We stopped the trifexis for a couple of months and she began slowly improving but my wife mistakenly gave it to her thinking it was heartguard and she broke out in hives the very next day. She once was a very lively dog with a beautiful coat and now she has terrible skin problems and is very sickly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used Frontline in February because they were out of the Sentinel. My dog scratched so much and had some hair loss on his sides and chest. Once he got under control, I gave him the sentinel on April 30 at 4:00 p.m. Bed time that night, the scratching started again!

I have been struggling over time if he had food allergies and have changed his food and taken away all treats, use scent-free products,wash bedding in hot water, etc. etc. etc. The constant that he has had since I have had him and he has been scratching since I have had him is the flea medication. Time will tell. After going on google (of course after all this is going on), one of the side effects is scratchig!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
All flea preventatives, both topical and oral, have side effects, same with heartworm preventative. Some have worse side effects then others, some of the side effects are extremely rare and others are more common, some are pretty mild others much more severe.

When you use a preventative on your dog make sure to give it to them when you can keep an eye on them to see if they have a reaction to it. If they do have a reaction make sure that the next kind you use does not have any of the same ingredients in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts