Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a member of the USAF currently deployed overseas, missing my wonderful wife and two canine sons. I have always wondered, however, what breed our younger dog, Seamus, is. Being bored overseas and thinking about him all the time, it's a question that's been driving me nuts lately. Here are some pictures:

I've heard pit, lab, pointer, vizsla and more. As you can see, he has the red nose and red leather around his mouth and eyes. He also has distinctive yellow eyes. He is quite small, barely 40lbs and full of energy. He is a super strong chewer and he is also super, super loyal and affectionate. He's a total mush. He loves to play tug of war. At first I assumed he was a pit/lab mix but he's so small and aside from a little boxiness in the skull and some crazy faces that he makes when playing, he doesn't have any of the broadness of a pit and he's on small side for both pit and lab standards. I could definitely see some pointer, but I also see the red skin and yellow eyes that was brought to my attention as distinctive traits for a vizsla. Just curious what some folks who are more knowledgeable of breeds might think. For my part, I just love the little guy to death and miss him like crazy. Can't wait to get back home to play.

·
Registered
917 Posts
He is really pretty. I see lab for sure and a bit of pitty too. His coloring is common in pits, I believe it's a dilute gene that causes the coloring. Remember that what most people call pit bulls are more than likely a mix and they come in a huge range of sizes. I've seen smaller 35-40lb pits up to huge 80+lb dogs. While he could have a bit of Vizsla they aren't very common. His ears look more like a pits ears, Vizsla have ears that are larger and hang down more. His tail looks more lab-ish, only a little thinner. Though that could easily be pit influence. And labs have a very large range of builds, from lanky to thick and broad. So, my guess is mostly lab with a little pit thrown in. It's also possible there are other breeds too.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very likely Lab/Pit. It's a common mix as both are very common breeds and near me some people even purposely breed them together.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would also guess lab/bully breed. Most bully breeds (or "pit bulls" are really mixes between several very similar breeds (like american pit bull terriers, american staffshire terriers, staffordshire terriers, or american bulldogs), and may or may not actually have pit in them. There are also often other non-bully breeds mixed in which gives them a really wide range of sizes and shapes/levels of "bulk".

He could be a lab/bully bred mixed with some kind of smaller terrier, as well, but I see mostly lab and some kind of bully mix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I cannot see pit or bully in him, he hasn't got the width of head or the almond eyes which are traits both those breeds pass on.

Certainly my first thought was Vizsla because of the colour. He certainly looks as if hr has gun dog ancestry from his head shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts