Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to this forum and I am hoping someone can help me out. My friend has a litter of puppies and she's been very busy so I have been caring for them as much as I can and very recently this one puppy ended up with swollen toes and a spot on the back of his head and tail. I know he should be taken to the vet but I don't think that's going to happen so any advice is appreciated. Please be nice I know he probably needs to just go to the vet. I am very aware of this but it's not my dog. I don't have any control over them. I can't be there for them 24/7 but this had to have happened recently within a matter of a few days. Any info is greatly appreciated.

BREED: Pit bull

EDIT: I added photos but I have no idea if they're showing up. It says I don't have permission to see my photos that I posted so just let me know if something's wrong and you can't see them. Thanks.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't see the pictures from what I can only guess at from your description... I am guessing the spots are bite marks or bumps? I do not know much about pitbulls but my neighbor recently had a litter and he had problems with one of the puppies not making it because the rest of its litter was more dominant (at least that was his guess). The only thing I can suggest is trying to keep the puppy separated to see if the syptoms decrease or go away? If that is possible? If they don't decrease I think the problem is going to be more severe and the pup may need a vet... but try icing the swollen paws and bumps and massaging the legs for increased blood flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Yes I think he just needs to go to the vet anyway but I really don't think that will happen. I will see if I can get her to take him. These aren't her puppies either they belonged to her ex and they were left at her house. She has no time for them but does what she can and I do too. As far as separating them, for that to happen I would have to just take him and give him formula and feed him myself. I don't think the owner will be available to just keep him at her house separated and care for him. I know that he needs to be with his mom more than anything right now so I don't want to do that if I don't have to but if I need to I will. We live about 40 minutes from each other so I don't see the puppies every day. I don't know how to explain what it looks like very well so I will keep trying to get photos posted. I'm sure I am just doing something wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aw poor puppy. I'm sorry, yeah the pup would definitely benefit more by being with the mother... none of the other pups or mom is showing any of these symptoms? I might have guessed scabies or mange but this might be an allergic reaction to something in the whelping box. The pup is still feeding well and showing same level of activity as the other pups? I hope you can get the pup to see a vet. You seem to be really helping your friend out in a tough situation... I'm not sure if I can recommend anything. I'm sorry. Maybe change the bedding they are sleeping on to a different fabric and washing the pup in luke warm water and gentle soap?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wormed and weighed them again just yesterday and he's gaining weight very well. He's definitely as active as the other puppies. He was the smallest of the litter but he's not had any issues so far until this. He's always gained weight just as well as the other puppies, he's just a smaller puppy over all if that makes sense. The mom is doing well and so are the other puppies. I asked my friend to keep an eye on him and keep me updated. After I seen that yesterday I changed out the bedding to see if that might help anything and I also went ahead and gave him a bath. Thank you very much for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I will update if anything changes or if she ends up taking him to the vet and we find out what's going on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks for your input. Yes I think he just needs to go to the vet anyway but I really don't think that will happen. I will see if I can get her to take him. These aren't her puppies either they belonged to her ex and they were left at her house. She has no time for them but does what she can and I do too. As far as separating them, for that to happen I would have to just take him and give him formula and feed him myself. I don't think the owner will be available to just keep him at her house separated and care for him. I know that he needs to be with his mom more than anything right now so I don't want to do that if I don't have to but if I need to I will. We live about 40 minutes from each other so I don't see the puppies every day. I don't know how to explain what it looks like very well so I will keep trying to get photos posted. I'm sure I am just doing something wrong.
Why won't she take just this one puppy to the vet? I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you anything that's going to help this puppy. I feel like, if her ex left and left them with her, then they are hers, and it's her responsibilty to get them vet care when needed. Could you take this one to the vet? You know that's what is needed, and none of us can tell you anything more than guesses. If it's really that she has no time for them, maybe you take it for her and then she can pay you back or something. It almost sounds like she doesn't care either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I do know that is what's needed, but like I said they aren't mine and it's ultimately up to her what happens to them unless he takes them. I'm just trying to help her and the mom and puppies out. She's not a very big animal person in general unless it's just to pet them a little and move on. Her ex was the involved one. She's wanting him to take them but I'm not sure if he will/can. I asked my husband if I could take them ALL with me and take them on until the puppies are old enough since I am home and have the time for them, but he's not big on animals either and I have my own animals here so he won't go for it. I am doing what I can from the position I am in. If I could just grab a puppy and take it to the vet I wouldn't be looking for help on a forum lol. She considers them his I guess? That's why I said I didn't need everyone to tell me he needs to go to a vet because I already know that, I mean that's common sense really, but if that won't happen then I want to do everything I can for it. Thank you for taking the time to reply it's very appreciated ? I will try to figure out how to take this post down because I'm not trying to upset anyone or anything. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the (?) after I said appreciated was suppose to me a =-) emoji but it didn't show up correctly. I didn't want that to be misinterpreted. I am still trying to figure out this site im sorry.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes I do know that is what's needed, but like I said they aren't mine and it's ultimately up to her what happens to them unless he takes them. I'm just trying to help her and the mom and puppies out. She's not a very big animal person in general unless it's just to pet them a little and move on. Her ex was the involved one. She's wanting him to take them but I'm not sure if he will/can. I asked my husband if I could take them ALL with me and take them on until the puppies are old enough since I am home and have the time for them, but he's not big on animals either and I have my own animals here so he won't go for it. I am doing what I can from the position I am in. If I could just grab a puppy and take it to the vet I wouldn't be looking for help on a forum lol. She considers them his I guess? That's why I said I didn't need everyone to tell me he needs to go to a vet because I already know that, I mean that's common sense really, but if that won't happen then I want to do everything I can for it. Thank you for taking the time to reply it's very appreciated ? I will try to figure out how to take this post down because I'm not trying to upset anyone or anything. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
Well, it sounds like neither him or her care about them, and from the pictures you showed its not something you can treat yourself. Keep talking to her about going to the vet. That's why we all here are still saying "vet". Because its not something any of us know what it is, to be able to give you advice on. Seeing a vet is the only option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay so after looking at some pictures of dogs with Demodectic mange and seeing the description, that could be what the pup has (but I am by no means a vet so still try to strive for that
) anyway it's not infectious so that's why the others haven't got it and the pup might have a low immune system which is why he/she got it. I saw there are a few home remedies you can try if you want in the mean time. I know everyone has said it including you but please keep trying to get it to a vet....hope it helps.

https://www.organicfacts.net/home-remedies/demodectic-mange.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes my plan was to keep trying to get the pup to see a vet since that's what actually needs done. As far as either of them caring about their puppies, I am doing my best to remain neutral with all that mess. I mean if I hack them off I might not get to see the puppies at all. At the moment a vet is not going to happen so I was literally trying to reach out to anyone who might be able to help me out so I can help him (the puppy) And I don't know if I came across that way but I am not trying to be snide or catch an attitude with anyone at ALL. I truly appreciate any input because I'm not sure what to do or if there's anything I CAN do. I have trouble reading people's emotions in their writing etc so that's why I apologized just in case something was read incorrectly and I came across as rude. Should I try to just take this down? I'm not sure how to do that but I will try to figure it out as soon as I get a chance to sit and look around the site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you kdyates I will check out the site ASAP. Much appreciated. I understand you are no vet but I appreciate the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts