Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see two in the intro section, but wondering if there's more.

I've always been interesting in the concept & have some questions - PM me please or feel free to include any info below.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh goodness gracious, there's so much information out there about canine hybrids (wolf hybrids in particular) and way too much of it is misleading or incorrect. I know someone who used to own a few and still (I think) works at a sanctuary for them. I can try to get you their contact information or straight information from them if you'd like. I still remember a fair bit about wolf hybrids specifically as well, if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am mildly surprised those are actually wolves/wolfdogs, and not the usual 'here's my obvious dog, except we say they're a wolf for the coolness factor'.
@Cindy23323 What do you feed them? How high do you keep your fence? It looks well over six feet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am mildly surprised those are actually wolves/wolfdogs, and not the usual 'here's my obvious dog, except we say they're a wolf for the coolness factor'.
@Cindy23323 What do you feed them? How high do you keep your fence? It looks well over six feet.
They get raw chicken along with having two free feeders full of kibble. However they can not just eat any old kibble. It has to be a kibble that is high in fat and protein and does not have corn, soy or wheat in it. They're stomach's can not handle it.

Yep the fence is 8 foot tall, as they are some serious jumpers. And I had to use cattle panels as it is 4 gauge, they can rip apart normal chain link with no problem and can eat threw the wood fencing too, so had to get something really strong. Also had to put it on the ground against the fence to prevent digging out. Also have a double entry to stop the sneaky ones from sneaking by as you're entering or leaving the enclosure. Mine is technically a triple entry as two enclosures open into it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How do you find their behavior compared to dogs? Did they inherit any of the dog or are they very much wolfy in their behavior? Did you need special licensing to keep them?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oh goodness gracious, there's so much information out there about canine hybrids (wolf hybrids in particular) and way too much of it is misleading or incorrect. I know someone who used to own a few and still (I think) works at a sanctuary for them. I can try to get you their contact information or straight information from them if you'd like. I still remember a fair bit about wolf hybrids specifically as well, if you have any specific questions.
I think what's most worrisome about all of that is that even some people that have them don't get their facts straight. I have an aunt with a few low content hybrids - class II wildlife breeder's license for the state, kept in a roofed and double-fenced enclosure per state regulations, etc. etc. - and I still wouldn't refer people to her for good information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you find their behavior compared to dogs? Did they inherit any of the dog or are they very much wolfy in their behavior? Did you need special licensing to keep them?
Both are very high content. We're talking F1 98% so they act like wolves.

I had to get a permit and show AC my enclosure to see that it was wolfdog proof. Each state has different laws. A few do not allow them at all, some have restrictions, and some are legal with no restrictions at all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@Liminal The person I know really knows her stuff. She's not a run of the mill person who is involved cause they're 'cool'. She has literally dedicated her life and style of living around protecting, preserving, and educating (as well as dispelling myths and correcting misinformation). Of course, no matter who I speak to I take what I hear with a grain of salt. It helps when someone also gives you credible resources to back up their experiences and information.

·
Registered
531 Posts
@Liminal The person I know really knows her stuff. She's not a run of the mill person who is involved cause they're 'cool'. She has literally dedicated her life and style of living around protecting, preserving, and educating (as well as dispelling myths and correcting misinformation). Of course, no matter who I speak to I take what I hear with a grain of salt. It helps when someone also gives you credible resources to back up their experiences and information.
I believe you! That wasn't meant to be disparaging of your knowledge or the knowledge the person you know at all, just a general cautionary tale. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts