Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her name is Marble. She's a stray that we found about 2 years ago. She was a puppy back then -7 months old or so. She's small - about 12 lbs, 14 inches high - and brown, black, white and gray in color. She has a problem with fear aggression (not toward her family but rather toward strangers) that we're still working on, but she's incredibly bright and learns very fast.​

She’s so loyal that she has a history of getting aggressive with people who she thinks are trying to hurt me. We’ve corrected this problem for the most part and now she either turns away when someone is playing around with me or jumps on them once to try to get them to stop- no more biting.​

She also loves her big brother, a German shepherd, and her little brother and sister, two Chihuahuas. She's a good pack dog, and loves the dog park- but she has a nasty habit of finishing the fights other dogs start (we're working on that too).​

She hates water, is toy driven rather than food driven, and would chase a rabbit to the ends of the earth. She 'hunts' by sight and smell, although more by sight. She is incredibly fast, LOVES to run, and can keep up with Italian Greyhounds at the dog park. Although she is very slender, we don’t think she has any IG in her because she has a very sturdy bone structure for a dog her size.​

Her ears are not cropped but we think her tail was (although we have no idea who someone would do that to a mixed breed unless something was medically necessary) Any guesses on what kind of dog she is?​

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I've never heard of a Kelpie before. But I googled it, and she definitely has very similar markings, doesn't she. It wouldn't surprise me if she were mixed with a chihuahua - she's very high strung.

·
Registered
9 Posts
She is definitely more than just "two breeds" that hooked up. Her ears are a dead give-a-way to a breed I just can't place at the moment. I had a Lab/Rotty mix, 80# dog, in heat, and I took her to visit my cousins one day. She had a Chihuahua. Never in my wildest dreams did either of us think the two could mate. The Chihuahua (male) got on the couch, my Lab/Rotty (female) literally backed up to the couch so the male dog could reach what he needed to! We were astounded by this. I have witnessed other unbelieveable ways dogs manage to "make it happen".
Welsh Corgies have these ears. The black streak down her back is a typical mark of a Schnauzer, and her leg coloring is that of a probably miniature pincher. At any rate, you have a very unusual mix of dogs and I don't doubt for a second she is a Heinz 57. She is more than just two, three, four, generations of mixed dog breedings. Is her fur course or wirey? She could have a terrier breed in her. Here tiny little snout leads me to think she at one time was bred to hunt moles, mice, rats which is typical of terrier breeds. As is the wirery coat. She is very disporportioned indicating a numerous bunch of mixed breeding. Does it really matter??? She's your beloved baby! And frankly, you will never know. Just give her the love you give and reprimand her when she shows aggression towards those she shouldn't. Consistancy, persistance, consistancy, persistance, you must win. Period.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is definitely more than just "two breeds" that hooked up. Her ears are a dead give-a-way to a breed I just can't place at the moment. I had a Lab/Rotty mix, 80# dog, in heat, and I took her to visit my cousins one day. She had a Chihuahua. Never in my wildest dreams did either of us think the two could mate. The Chihuahua (male) got on the couch, my Lab/Rotty (female) literally backed up to the couch so the male dog could reach what he needed to! We were astounded by this. I have witnessed other unbelieveable ways dogs manage to "make it happen".
Welsh Corgies have these ears. The black streak down her back is a typical mark of a Schnauzer, and her leg coloring is that of a probably miniature pincher. At any rate, you have a very unusual mix of dogs and I don't doubt for a second she is a Heinz 57. She is more than just two, three, four, generations of mixed dog breedings. Is her fur course or wirey? She could have a terrier breed in her. Here tiny little snout leads me to think she at one time was bred to hunt moles, mice, rats which is typical of terrier breeds. As is the wirery coat. She is very disporportioned indicating a numerous bunch of mixed breeding. Does it really matter??? She's your beloved baby! And frankly, you will never know. Just give her the love you give and reprimand her when she shows aggression towards those she shouldn't. Consistancy, persistance, consistancy, persistance, you must win. Period.
Marble actually has a very soft, smooth coat that just bunches up around her neck in all directions. We used to have a pom-chi that had the exact same coat- with her, it was an indicator of the long-haired, short-haired mixing. And she certainly has the 'attitude' of a terrier or min-pin.

Perhaps she is the result of a surprise mating for a min-pin or terrier breeder. Her dew claws were removed and her tail lopped off. And since I don’t want to even think that either was done way after her birth, I would suspect she came from someone who had an investment in their pets.

You are right, of course. It doesn't matter what kind of dog she is. I wouldn't replace her in a million years. We’re just curious about her breed because people are always asking – we would love her regardless of her history- She could be a pit-bull, coyote, chihuahua, terrier mix for all I care – we absolutely adore her!

She and I 'grew' together. She's the first dog I've ever owned. When i got her, I lived in an apartment and had wrongfully assumed that a small dog doesn't need a lot of room or exercise. Her first day alone in my apartment resulted in $300 in replacement power-cords for every electrical appliance I had within dog-reach. She ate everything! She was also very detached from people. She bit me the first day I got her and it took several months for her to trust me at all- she still doesn’t trust strangers.

So I’ve moved out of the apartment and into a house- given her several doggy friends to play with, run miles with her every day (believe it or not, I’ve lost 140 lbs since she came into my life). She walks perfectly on a leash, pays attention to my every word/command, doesn’t steal food that is left sitting out, doesn’t run out the front door when it opens, doesn’t eat the neighbors (most of the time). I tell people that she may end up getting me sued one day with the way she likes to chase people (we’re working on that.) – that said, I wouldn’t give her up ever- not in a million years. She’d not do well in another house. She needs to be around someone who understands her unique little quirks and loves her unconditionally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ridgeback X chihuaha (check her ridge on the last pic)
foxterrier chihuaha
maybe a fox and chihuaha?

I think she may have chihuahuaish ears, but her body shape is definitely more terrier / min-pin like.

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion. What about Chihuahua, Spitz mix? Shiba inus and shikokus have been known to have her coloring, and that would explain the tuff of fur around her neck. We used to have a Pomeranian Chihuahua who had a coat very similar to hers. The Pomeranian being long haired, the Chihuahua being short haired.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I think she may have chihuahuaish ears, but her body shape is definitely more terrier / min-pin like.

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion. What about Chihuahua, Spitz mix? Shiba inus and shikokus have been known to have her coloring, and that would explain the tuff of fur around her neck. We used to have a Pomeranian Chihuahua who had a coat very similar to hers. The Pomeranian being long haired, the Chihuahua being short haired.
This is Scrappy he is a Shiba Inu/Chihuahua cross

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
She's definitely a puzzle! lol Have you thought to have her DNA tested? I think the tests run around $50. It would be interesting to know exactly what's in there. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a Miniature Pinscher mix. The dark patch down the spine is common in the Miniature Pinscher "Stag" coloring. The face reflects the common smile ie: tan or rust around the mouth and the cheek. Her ears are "doe" which is the common ear on Miniature Pinschers who have erect ears, generally as they can sometime reflect the more slender IG ears which these they can inherit also. The dogs overall shape and size are basically the standard for Miniature Pinschers. It is definitely a terrier.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont know what she mixed with but she is very cute
She's my precious little darling. Someone suggested just days ago that she was a min-pin basenji mix (although I thought basenjis are bigger). She has the baring of a tiny little queen with the way she walks, tail and head always held high. Even when she sits or lies down, she carries herself as if she were on display. That is a min-pin trait, isn’t it?

We have thought about getting DNA tests done on her. I would love to know what kind of dog she is; she’s got such a unique personality, I wouldn’t mind having another one like her or half like her as the case would probably be.
Thanks for all the suggestions. It’s always good to hear what other people think J

·
Registered
4 Posts
You all might think this sounds crazy... but I know of someone with a coyote mix that looks a lot like this. I think their dog is a rat terrier/coyote cross but I definately see min pin in your dog. Their dog is very very fast, she's very timid/fearful around people but not at all aggressive towards them, and has managed to kill their duck and guinea hens even as a small puppy lol but she's a good little dog :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you all think about a chihuahua min-pin mix? I know she's a bit large, but I've seen min-pins who are larger than she is. Chihuahuas can come in any color so that could be the coloring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts