Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my boy, Oaka! He is very big, very goofy, likes to chew things up, doesn't bark much, and gets pretty protective on walks. He was also born with a hairy eyeball that never really seems to bother him.

His mother is the dog sitting next to him in the pic. I think she's Pit or AmStaff. I was told his dad was Rottie x Lab, but he didn't look it. He was large, solid fawn colored with pricked ears.

Oaka does look like he has Rottie and Lab, but where did the ticking come from? I don't think it came from his mother, since she has big patches of white without any spots. And it can't come from Rotties or Labs, right?

I've been so curious about this forever. It's a total mystery to me where the spots came from. Any guesses to what else Oaka could be? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That would make sense actually. His dad kind of had the body shape and face shape of an Australian Cattle Dog, he was just a lot bigger and not colored like one. I'd love to have him DNA tested to know for certain.

Oaka doesn't shed much though. Like, not in big batches. He leaves a few hairs on the couch, and some fur comes off when I brush him, but nothing crazy. His coat is short and coarse and he's very easy to groom.

·
Registered
478 Posts
How big is he? He reminds me a bit of my Harlequin great dane, same face and stance. Just a thought

Lynsey

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ticking doesn't show on a solid dog so it could come from the solid breeds too. It requires the dog to be white-spotted to show ticking. For example, I believe some Belgian shepherds can carry ticking, it just isn't visible because the breed doesn't usually have white markings. I saw a pic of one that had and she was ticked.

The white spotting must come somewhere and suggests that the father contains a breed that has white maarkings, clear or ticked. And the pricked ears is also a sign that maybe there is something else than just two floppy-eared breeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@lynsey He's about as tall as as a Rottie and weighs about 55 kgs. His father was about that height too. He's also very wide in the chest like his mother. So, he's a big dog for sure, but not Great Dane big. I suppose it's possible though!

@FinnAlva Yes, his dad had no white for it to show up in, so it must have come from him. It's just a mystery what the additional breed I wasn't told about could have been. Australian Cattle Dog seems the most likely so far!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts