Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So I have been looking into getting a GP for awhile now. I have done research into it, but would really like to learn more about the breed from those who own it. Please feel free to ask questions about me and my current life style if it will help you.

Just things in general; energy level, temperament, etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Spanish Mastiff, a similarish livestock guardian dog (LGD) from below the Pyrenees, little known outside its native country.

I can guide you on some things, but you'd need to talk to people familiar with the breed and lines (working or more show/pet) in your area. This can make a big difference in the dog's temperament and drive. I understand that in the States Great Pyrs can be quite toned down, but I don't have any experience of the breed.

However, there are aspects that apply to both breeds, or LGDs in general, so we can look at those.

My first questions to you are:

- what is your home and lifestyle like; where and how would you keep her?
- why do you want a GP?
- what dog and/or animal experience do you have?

The more detail and info you give, the easier it is to communicate with you!
:dog-bone:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had two GP. They were good dogs, though a little barkey. Hard to house train. But that was only 5 months, then they just "got it". My son was only 9, and he would lay with them in a puppy/human pile on the floor. They adored him, and saved him one night while I was at work. A stranger was just outside of my non-fenced yard, when he was taking them out for their nightly business. They barked, growled, while he pulled them back into the house and locked the door. He called the police, who were there in less than 2 minutes. I believe they saved him from being kidnapped. They were very loving, always. Good on walks, happy to stay in un-fenced yard with us there. Walking teddy-bears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for second post. I should have said 5 months until they were reliable in house, for 6 hours at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts