Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think that a photo of my dog clover is my avatar. i think that he is a lab and dutch shepherd cross. anybody have any guesses? anybody familiar with dutch shepherds? they are sorta rare, used a lot for police work, but from the pictures i have seen, clover has the same type of coat, and the same type of brindle markings. any info would be great!:rolleyes:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I say pitbul because the color, and the face shape and boxer because the husky'ness

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get pitbull a lot, from his pictures, I'll try to post more though. In real life though, the brindle color is the only really pit feature...Sometimes I look at his face and I see pit, but usually lab. I've also got chesapeke bay retriever a lot and his hair is starting to get curlyish on his rump. The vet said he doesn't think pit. He comes from lodi ca, lots of pits and pit/bully type breeds there, but there is also a breeder of dutch shepherds near by (in stockton ca, but i haven't been able to log into their website). they have a coat very similar to his, and are similar in size (he is only about 1yo so we'll see if that changes much in the next year or so). There are also a couple of breeds of hound that have brindle coats. The shelter that he was rescued from called him a shepherd mix, the foster agency (animal friends connection) called him a lab/hound mix, the vet that the foster agency used called him a lab mix and my vet, who is familiar with dutch shepherds said it is very possible that he could be a pure bred dutch shepherd with droopy ears, but that he really looks like a lab. He has a very long body in relation to his height, and he is fairly solid in build but not really muscly. He also has webbed feet. I was really hoping that one of those breed genetic tests would help satisfy my curiosity but from what I am hearing, they are sort of a waste of money....thanks for your guesses

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to look up dutch shepherd, which wasn't easy since I finally had to go under the dutch name, here's the link I found. Hollandse Herder

and another link Dutch Shepherd Information and Pictures, Dutch Shepherds

I sure can see where you would think there is some dutch shepherd in your boy, that sure is a very unusal coloration. And when I look head on at his face, I also see more lab than pitty. Pitts have a broader look at the back of their face than your boys does. As far as chessie, well maybe, but one of those links does say that dutch shepherds come in a wirehair version so that might cause the curly part.

But what ever he is, I think he is very handsome.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From that photo I don't really see shepard in your dog, the muzzle seems totally different and the head shape to me says lab cross. But anyones guess from a pic is as good as the next one :D maybe though you could get a pic from side on? That could help :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Id say pitbull/lab, and pitbulls come in brindle so one of the parents could have been brindle, but im just guessing :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts