Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing Aayla home tomorrow morning and was wondering about chews. (Yippie!)

I will be home for a week before I have to return to work. I want to give her things to chew on and entertain herself with while I am gone. I am planning to feed through frozen Kongs and a kong wobbler. Most things I see (bully, yacky stick, sweet potato chews) say that you shouldn't leave unsupervised. I had been hoping to give her something every time I leave so she can be pre occupied and not get so upset about being left alone.

Anyone have any advice for chews that are not dangerous for a puppy unsupervised? I have thought of an antler boiled in a broth, but is that too much for small puppy teeth?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Heidi has been obsessed with Nyla bones and they have a range of puppy chews available (NylaBone Puppy).

She also was extremely interested in Levi's antler, and loved to chew on it. Her teeth seem fine, but we did limit her time chewing it, just to be sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To mind, I cannot think of any thing that is not recommended to be supervised in the chew department.

My personal experience with my dog is she will not destroy Kong toys. I will put her peanut butter or coconut oil in the middle cause she does not prefer to chew these, but anything else she breaks pieces off so it is the only thing I trust unsupervised.

Even Kongs say to supervise if I remember that correctly.

I think you are on the right track with "puzzle feeders". (Kong Wobbler)
They will keep em entertained and are usually large enough that chewing is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would only leave a dog/puppy with a kong (larger sized so they can't swallow it). I have seen WAY too many foreign bodies come into the clinic from Nylabones, rawhides, and even raw bones. I also think antlers are too tough for puppies teeth, but that's just me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The only things I feel safe to leave my dogs with are antlers or a kong. Anything else I've seen become dangerous. Although kongs and anything plastic aren't very popular in my household.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I leave Cosmo with a Kong and he's always been fine. He likes when I freeze foods in there and it keeps him busy long enough to forget I left him and just fall asleep.

I personally think kongs are fine, Cosmo plays with his and it's always out even when we leave and it hasn't been an issue. The thing isn't even scratched and I've had it for almost a year.

I'd say try Kongs and watch her with it a couple times before you leave her. If she doesn't try to peel pieces off then I think it's fine.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, she seems to be fussy already with being left alone. So trying to find stuff to keep her entertained is a must. She already prefers chewing on her bed than having interest in a stuffed kong. She hasn't figured out how to get the food out of it yet and looses interest. (I've started putting food in without any wetness or freezing and that helps) She seems to like the buffalo tendon the most for a chew though.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't leave a dog alone with a chew because once they chew it down to a certain length it becomes a choking hazard, especially because it is designed to stay hard for a long time.

I would recommend the busy buddy squirrel dude (Shop for Busy Buddy® Squirrel Dude™ by PetSafe - GRP-BB-SD) as another puzzle toy that can be used inside of a crate.

I usually only leave a kong or the squirrel in the crate with my puppy as she is interested in getting the food out but not destroying the outside. When we started with the kong, we had to fill it with high-value, easy-to-get food in order to get the puppy interested. Something like kibble in the middle and peanut butter smeared around the outside; or tiny bits of cheese in the middle (not a lot). Once the pup gets a hang of it, you can make it progressively harder. My favourite combo is apple or banana + pumpkin puree +cheese, frozen in alternating layers.

You can also try giving her a frozen carrot if she's really into chewing. They don't digest them well though, so expect carrot bits in her poo. She will digest a boiled carrot, but it's not as fun to chew as a frozen one (I suppose you could boil then freeze...but that's a bit overboard for me)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Other then her kong, the only thing I leave my dog with alone to chew on is her Starmark Everlast toy. They have different models, but this is the general idea:
Everlasting TREAT Ball® | Starmark Pet Products

The brown treat is super hard so they gnaw on that (and it smells SO much better then rawhide). Then on the reverse side is a "pocket" opening where you can stick little treats inside and it works much like a kong.

I have the Everlast Groovy Ball, and it takes my girl about 4-5 hours to get through the Everlast Treat (the hard brown chew). When she totally finishes it, I just pop in another and it's good to go again! The way it chews down it doesn't become a small swallow-able piece, but the last thing to be eaten is the outer-edge that is holding it in place inside the plastic toy and at that point she licks it and licks it until it just erodes away (since it's kind of hidden under a lip of plastic, she can't really chew it easily). It actually smells really sweet and nice so it also makes her breath nicer.

She only gets it with the hard chew inside when we're leaving her alone for the day (which only happens 1-2x a week) or if the weather is so gross that we're not able to get out for a big walk (rare). She will literally stay in one place and chew on it until it's gone without taking any break -- she's a total addict.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Other then her kong, the only thing I leave my dog with alone to chew on is her Starmark Everlast toy. They have different models, but this is the general idea:

The brown treat is super hard so they gnaw on that (and it smells SO much better then rawhide). Then on the reverse side is a "pocket" opening where you can stick little treats inside and it works much like a kong.
i would be careful with the everlast toy. I did have someone come in and say there dog got the treat out in about 2min. They also are pretty expensive so i would just ask around before buying it.

·
Registered
722 Posts

I have the Everlast Groovy Ball, and it takes my girl about 4-5 hours to get through the Everlast Treat (the hard brown chew). When she totally finishes it, I just pop in another and it's good to go again! The way it chews down it doesn't become a small swallow-able piece, but the last thing to be eaten is the outer-edge that is holding it in place inside the plastic toy and at that point she licks it and licks it until it just erodes away (since it's kind of hidden under a lip of plastic, she can't really chew it easily). It actually smells really sweet and nice so it also makes her breath nicer.

She only gets it with the hard chew inside when we're leaving her alone for the day (which only happens 1-2x a week) or if the weather is so gross that we're not able to get out for a big walk (rare). She will literally stay in one place and chew on it until it's gone without taking any break -- she's a total addict.

I also use this toy. She never even bothers chewing the rubber part, just the treat. It's proven to be a very safe toy for my dog as well.

Yes, it is expensive, where I am the large version is $17.50. Refills are $7.58 for 2 of them though and I think that's a good deal.

I have heard of some dogs destroying this toy though. I think it truly depends on your dog. There is nothing 100% safe.

I have had a lot of success lately with the Earth Animal No hide chicken chews. They are not grain free though so if your dog has a sensitivity to Brown rice, then they are a no go. They are great though and last my dog a few hours.

Here's a link to them:
No-Hide Chicken Chews 4" | Earth Animal Treats and Chews | Treats | Earth Animal

They are a little on the expensive side though.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I've always left mine unsupervised with Nylabones and kongs. I've also left unsupervised with bully sticks. Which are completely edible. They don't last long these days, but for pups they hold up good. I used to leave Tigger alone with hooves, but he eats them too fast now. The piece will get super small and I don't want him to choke, so I watch until it's too small, then I take it away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts