Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this time of year when the migrated birds come back.

What has returned to your neck of the woods?

On another forum, a question was asked, how do you keep bees away from your feeders.

I have been fighting those critters for years. Tired of moving the feeders only to have them find it again.:(

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Most official sites recommend one like this: Amazon.com : Birds Choice 8oz. Hummingbird Feeder : Wild Bird Feeders : Patio, Lawn & Garden if you have a bee problem. I tried one breifly last year (not that brand, but that style) and had worse problems, because it leaked worse than teh regular one (every time it blew in teh wind the syrup sloshed out) and the bees just climbed under it and stuck their tongues in the seam where it leaked out.

I'm currently trying to find one like this: Amazon.com: Bloom Hummingbird Feeder Clear: Patio, Lawn & Garden that won't cost a fortune but has no seams except for the feeding ports and the top opening but that ALSO has a perch for the hummers to perch on if they want....

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most official sites recommend one like this: Amazon.com : Birds Choice 8oz. Hummingbird Feeder : Wild Bird Feeders : Patio, Lawn & Garden if you have a bee problem. I tried one breifly last year (not that brand, but that style) and had worse problems, because it leaked worse than teh regular one (every time it blew in teh wind the syrup sloshed out) and the bees just climbed under it and stuck their tongues in the seam where it leaked out.

I'm currently trying to find one like this: Amazon.com: Bloom Hummingbird Feeder Clear: Patio, Lawn & Garden that won't cost a fortune but has no seams except for the feeding ports and the top opening but that ALSO has a perch for the hummers to perch on if they want....
Wow, 40 bucks, too rich for my blood.
Find any other, please post the sites.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I don't put hummingbird feeders out anymore. I got tired of the bees, wasps and ants getting into them. I have a lot of perennial flowering plants that the hummers love. Sorry, not much help to you.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Unfortunetly I don't have a lot of hummer favorite plants here, just the one trumpet vine in the back :( the previous owners had almost no flowers at all on the property, just the daffodils (and we're talking over 1000 daffodil bulbs, seriously!) and the trumpet vine. I'm working on fixing that but its not a quick fix.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The hummers love the coral honeysuckle and the duranta and of course the salvias. The durantas are really fast growing here. They die back in the winter but grow back when the weather warms back up.

The scissor tailed flycatchers are here for nesting season. They're one of my favorite birds. So delicately colored and such aerial acrobats.

I used to be much more into birding and went out every weekend adding to my life list. We're lucky to be located along a migratory route that many birds take. Then I got into dogs and my free time went to the dogs. :) Now I'm a casual birder. We're not too far from the Gulf coast and we like to make at least one trip to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge in the Winter. I was sick about the oil spill near Galveston and the migrating and nesting birds that were impacted.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I don't really go out of my way to go see birds (well, I did to see the Snowy Owls this winter.....), but with my property being where it is we see quite a bit just in the yard.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gold finch is NJ's state bird, what is every else's bird?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't get many hummingbirds in my backyard. I've been thinking of planting trumpet vines but I've heard that they can take over everything. Guess that might not be a bad thing since it will cover up the weeds.

We've had quite a few hawks hanging around our house for the winter. Right now my pet project is a blue jay with a messed up beak. He's able to eat by turning his head sideways.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Trumpet vines are invasive. If you plant one you need to either plant it with a major root barrier or in a place where you can mow all the way around it regularly. The folks we bought the house from had two, and they cut down one. For a good 20ft around that location we STILL have a constant fight with the roots sprouting into vines. I've even tried heavy duty nasty weed killer and it still hasn't killed it!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'll have to check out that hummingbird feeder, I HATE feeding the wasp, and hornets. The hornets are horridly aggressive and will chase of the hummingbirds.

I'm a casual birder and usually only spot what comes to my feeders. Currently I'm ticked off about the brown headed cowbirds coming back, I can't put out my usual variety of seeds because of those parasitic pest.

Spotted so far:
Ruby Throated Hummingbird, Northern Cardinals (huge flock of them), Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Oriole (northern if I remember right, but might have been orchard), Junco, Tuffted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadee, White Throated Sparrow, Cedar Waxwing, Road Runner, Wild Turkey, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Eastern Bluebird, American Gold Finch, Summer Tanager, Yellow Throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, Blue Jay, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, Inca Dove, Ring Necked Dove, Carolina Wren, Crow, House Sparrow, Pigeon, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle, Red Tailed Hawk.

I didn't include water birds.

Heard but not seen
Chuck-will's-widow (might be a Whip-poor-will), Owl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts