Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with my current predicament. I got my Shih Poo, Jemma, when she was 4 months old. When we first got her, we noticed she would eat her own feces. We asked the vet how to stop it and they sold us Forbid powder. After that failed, I have wasted money on many other chewables and tablets that are supposed to stop it. I was told she would grow out of it, but she is 7 months now and it doesn't seem like it will stop.
Is there anyone who has been through a similar situation and can give me some advice?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why wouldn’t you pick up the poo instead of putting some powder on it? How does it come that she has time to eat the poo? Just pick it up as soon as she poops.

Anyhow It’s alway good to teach a “leave it” command. Put something on the floor that she wants to eat/take (food/toy) and then get her attention (preferably by making some noise instead of saying her name since you want to teach her a different command) and show her that you have something of higher value than whatever’s on the floor. When she leaves the stuff on the floor, reward her. When she gets what to do try to establish a command by saying “leave it” for example. If she gets the hang of this you should be able to stop her from eating poo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wouldn’t you pick up the poo instead of putting some powder on it? How does it come that she has time to eat the poo? Just pick it up as soon as she poops.

Anyhow It’s alway good to teach a “leave it” command. Put something on the floor that she wants to eat/take (food/toy) and then get her attention (preferably by making some noise instead of saying her name since you want to teach her a different command) and show her that you have something of higher value than whatever’s on the floor. When she leaves the stuff on the floor, reward her. When she gets what to do try to establish a command by saying “leave it” for example. If she gets the hang of this you should be able to stop her from eating poo.
The powder goes on her food. It's tasteless but is supposed to be a deterrent coming out. We pick it up as soon as we see her go and reward her; however, we aren't always around 24/7.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Haha okay now I understand 😂 So she isn’t housebroken yet? Focus on getting her housebroken first of all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha okay now I understand 😂 So she isn’t housebroken yet? Focus on getting her housebroken first of all.
Ok, thank you. She does well will a potty pad. She pees and poos on the pad, but that doesn't stop her from committing the act :(. What would housebreaking her look like?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get her used to only doing her business outside. Now she’s quit old but you can still use the method as you do with small puppies. Take her out after she has slept, eaten or played. Wait until she gos, then praise her. You might have to be with her outside for a while before she does anything. If you know how long it usually is between she has to go you can put an alarm on your phone and take her out every few hours (or something). If she goes inside before your alarm, shorten the time. Never punish her for going inside, just note to yourself to keep better attention on her and her signals. Also put alarms in the night if she use to go in the night. It might be a pain waking up in the night but if you’re consistent she will learn much faster. Eventually she will start to signal when she has to go outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get her used to only doing her business outside. Now she’s quit old but you can still use the method as you do with small puppies. Take her out after she has slept, eaten or played. Wait until she gos, then praise her. You might have to be with her outside for a while before she does anything. If you know how long it usually is between she has to go you can put an alarm on your phone and take her out every few hours (or something). If she goes inside before your alarm, shorten the time. Never punish her for going inside, just note to yourself to keep better attention on her and her signals. Also put alarms in the night if she use to go in the night. It might be a pain waking up in the night but if you’re consistent she will learn much faster. Eventually she will start to signal when she has to go outside.
Ok, great! Thank you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts