Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name is Amira and my family and I adopted a puppy who is 5 months old. Since we can not afford the money to train her, we decided to get a pee pad for her. She keeps on chewing at it, and I’m afraid that she will it eat and die. If she does consume it in any way, should I go to my vet? Or is she perfectly fine and is it normal? Another problem! She keeps opening her cage, for no reason! We feed her an hour before we take her to the crate. But she cries, and whines and opens her crate. I heard that they do not want to leave their owners, so she is kept in my room. Can you guys list some foods that I cannot feed her? That would be appreciated. I take her on walks every 2 hours, hoping she would pee. When she does, i give her a treat. Is that spoiling her and making her dependent? Should I stop or continue? Please help me, I’m 18 years old of age, and I am in no experience with a puppy. I try to research, but I can never find my answer.

PS. The owner did not do any training with this puppy, once she was born I guess he wanted to sell her for money.

Also, tips on helping her sleep in her crate? I spent all my money buying her toys but it won’t work. Will she warm up to us fast?

By the way, her name is Roxy. She is a yorkie mix, we got her for about a good 3,000$. We might take her back, though. We do not want to see her life vanish at the glance of our eye.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,

I use washable pee pads, which are sold online for human incontinence. That might be a solution for you and Roxy or someone else might come along with specific advice about the chewing issue. This is normal and common even though I don't have personal first-hand experience.

You could probably just call your vet's office. The receptionist answers many questions like this free of charge at my practice.

Yorkies do develop extremely close bonds with their owners and can suffer from separation anxiety. My "possible Yorkie mix" is nine months old and has always slept in the bed with me. That is controversial and may not be an option for you, so other things you might try are a clock that ticks to simulate the sound of a heartbeat and a warm (not hot) water bottle or pet safe heating pad.

Your outdoor potty training plan sounds excellent. You are not spoiling her and could even take her out more frequently.

There is a whole other layer of responsibility with such a tiny puppy. Realizing that our fragile little dogs are seen as nothing more than a way to make money is terrifying. I want to reassure you that all of these feelings are normal and that you sound like a great person who cares a lot about your puppy.

It's going to take Roxy a bit more time to warm up to you and your family because she is older than the "ideal" age, but it is so worth it. She is much better off with you than she would be if you took her back. Yorkies are amazing little dogs and worth so much more than money.

Congratulations. It does get easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts