Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner and I adopted a rescue this past Saturday. Moose is an 8 month old 18lb shepherd mix from Tennessee where she was found with her sister in a shed.

When we first brought her home, we introduced her to our 2 housemates outside and she was good with them. About two days ago she has started barking at both of them without provocation. We're trying to get them to just drop off a treat with no eye contact or touch, but she's starting to not even allow that.

Also at first when we would take her out to the bathroom, she would hide in the bushes and cower. She then got much better and seemed excited to be outside. Within the last 2 days though she has become increasingly fearful outside, pulling violently hard on her leash and spinning in circles and axiously breathing until we let her get back to the house where she immediately tries to go to our bedroom. Walks are out of the qurstion, she eon't go beyond our sideyard.

She won't leave her crate once in it and we've had to gently wiggle her out of it to go to the bathroom (she doesn't respond to treats).

We'd like to make sure we aren't doing anything to make her anxiety worse and some reassurance that this is a temporary stage of her settling into her new home!

Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
She does sound incredibly stressed.

You are doing the right things. It's unfortunate you have to get her out of her crate like that but if she lived in a shed I'm guessing she wouldn't know to go out; for example if you were to leave the crate open next to an open door to the outside and leave her to go as she chooses.

I wonder if you could try something like scullcap and valerian tablets to help her anxiety. That may not be enough to help though, you might need your vet to prescribe something to help. A stressed animal is in survival mode and cannot learn.

Meantime leave her alone as much as possible. The stress hormone in humans takes 72 hours to disperse, in dogs it is less clear but every event tops it up again so if you can help her be alone for a few days (even if that means indoor accidents?) she might find it easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts