Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anxious new puppy yorkie owner from Ireland. Any advice?
Hello, I feel a bit silly writing this post as I just got my new puppy 6 days ago but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the feelings of anxiety I have been experiencing and wondering if anyone has any goodfeel stories to pass on to ease my nerves. I have a 9 1/2 week old Yorkshire Terrier who is adorable. I have 2 children, 9 and 7 who are dog mad and always had dogs (poms and cavalier king charles) growing up. This is my 1st dog in my own house. I only work 2 days a week and am with the puppy other than that. She sleeps in the kitchen and only cried for 10 mins after I put her to bed last night and then again at about 6.30 a.m. this morning for about 5 minutes but then didnt wake up until 7.30 a.m. She is very small but seems to be very clever and quite spunky. The problem is I am so anxious worrying that I made a mistake taking on the puppy ever since I got her. It's like what I felt for the first few weeks after I had my children 'my life used to be so easy and now it's so unpredictable and I don't like this feeling.' I keep thinking did I do the right thing and why did I have to change things up in the house. Now I feel like my time is not my own and I worry about the dog constantly. She hasn't had her 2nd injections yet so she can't go out for walks but we have a nice enclosed garden but it's been raining for the past couple of days so she doesn't like the wet grass :) She is such a gorgeous puppy and I love her so much and get glimpses of excitement when I think of her being able to go on walks with me and come in the car with me and walking to collect the kids from school and going to training classes but mostly I just feel anxious like my life will never be my own again. Completely irrational I know but it's how I'm feeling. I've also always had 2 dogs when I lived in my parents but I feel 1 dog is enough for my family and again I feel guilty that she is on her own although I have brought her down to my mams house to meet her dogs and she gets along really well with them (they are 10 year old cavaliers) so they are very mellow. She also doesn't seem to eat at regular times. Any advice on how often I should be feeding her would be great. She does her pee on the puppy pads at night but poos on the floor furthest as she can get from her bed. She only so far has managed to go once for a pee outside in the garden. Yesterday I walked around with her every hour on the hour but she does nothing and then comes in and wees on the floor or rug. She is very small (3lbs) so cleaning up after her doesn't bother me at all. She loves her chew toys and in the evening curls up on my husband's lap to sleep. Again, any advice for any other dog owners would be great and anyone who has felt like I do it would be great to hear as at the moment I am feeling very nervous. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am literally running out the door but I couldn't not reply!

Search for "puppy blues" and housetraining on here.

There are many great links and advice on house training and puppy blues are quite normal and common! I had it! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much myrottenones. I feel silly even feeling like this and posting but I'll definitely take your advice and search 'puppy blues'. It will definitely feel better if I know this is just temporary and others have felt the same :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
It sounds like you love your dog and will be a great owner if you can just survive puppyhood. Your puppy is very young. You have a little creature that relies on you for everything but can barely give you anything in return. I've found that my puppies were very "newborn" until about 12 weeks of age. After that, they were more like little toddlers, meaning that I could start to make real progress with training, they could walk well on a leash, they were housetrain-able...

Once you make it through the puppy stage, life should be a lot easier. My family had a yorkie, and, apart from some housetraining trouble and his intensive grooming needs, he was a very easy dog to take care for. He didn't need a lot of exercise (though he LOVED to play in his younger years), he was good-natured around all people and dogs, and he wasn't yappy or destructive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Skippersmom. What you said does make a lot of sense. She seems to be so young to me and although she is extremely good she does seem to be very young to grasp things yet like housetraining. I am trying but I think you are right in that maybe it will take for her to be a bit older before we see real progress. She is so small that even when she has an accident there isn't really too much to clean up so that's good but it just seems to be me that is anxious for no good reason. Thanks again for your reply. I'm sure from 9 weeks that we got her to 12 weeks we will see more and more progression with her!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I understand what you mean completely! when I got my youngest dog, my previous dog had just died and my other dog was already 7 years old so I wasn't used to a puppy. He didn't even weigh a pound when we got him, I had to give him honey every two hours and he slept rolled up in a blanket because he would get too cold. The first week we had him, my other dog carried him up the stairs with her (she thought he was her puppy) and he tried to get back down and ended up tumbling down the stairs. I thought I was a terrible puppy owner!! He was just fine and didn't understand all the fuss. It's like you now have this tiny little creature to care for and if you mess up it could affect their whole life and that's a really big weight on a persons shoulders but dogs are so resilient and believe me your puppy sounds very well taken care of. And don't worry about her being the only dog, I promise she won't mind, she'll get all the attention to herself, what dog doesn't love that?? Keep up the training and take a few deep breaths!! You're doing great :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hannahpups. That's exactly what my mam tells me 'just breath'! Will have to remember that. In my head I know it's just an adjustment period, I just feel very overwhelmed.

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hi & welcome!! Don't ever feel your questions are silly, there are lots of lovely, helpful people on this forum who on the whole don't judge, just try to help. I don't have any expertise on your problem, but I have read lots of posts like yours, so what you're feeling is more normal than you think. You'll get lots of support here & practical help, so stick around :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts