Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just introduced a new dog to the family. She is a rescue of approximately 4 years old. Beagle/Basset cross. I have never had a dog, but my husband had one as a child. We have one 7 year old daughter.

We have very little history on the dog, other than she was brought over to the UK from a pound in Ireland, as they have a 7 day policy before dogs are destroyed.

She has obviously not been house trained, which I am struggling with at the moment. We live in a boarding school - in a first floor flat. Whilst the flat is not ideal, we have fantastic grounds for walks, which is why the rescue centre approved us.

Daisy (dog) is very calm and sweet natured. I would say we have really struck it lucky in terms of her temperament. She does howl a little bit, but that is getting better. So, really, it is the toilet training and general recall etc that we need to work on.

My husband - although it was his idea, and my daughter's, initially - is now worrying about whether we have jumped into this too soon. I feel very strongly that we have committed to this doggy, so we have to work hard to get her trained.

Any advice on house training - specifically from a flat - would be gratefully received! We currently have her in the kitchen, with a dog gate on the door and a crate to sleep in. She can hold on for the toilet overnight and had been doing well for a few days - she had a couple of accidents earlier today though.

Sorry about the long post - I'm just feeling a bit alone in this now!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hounds are the best and very sweet. Unfortunately you have two breeds that follow their noses so don't let off the leash or you will loose the dog. They will follow their noses for miles and never look back. This will help with house training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI
If you don't have a clicker you can use a writing pen that clicks or your tongue. Just make sure it is the same noise every time.
This will help you understand the concept of clicker training and why it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those links - I have been thinking about the Kong for a bit, as Daisy is getting too used to treats going in the crate. What a brilliant idea to put it in the crate in advance!

Luckily, at the school I live in, we have an enclosed space on the grounds that she can run in, off the lead. I wouldn't dare when I am on general walks though - she is very stubborn.

However, after 2 weeks of having her with us, I am really smitten!! :D Husband is also much more chilled this week and I feel she is a proper member of the family now, not just a visitor!

x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@missbunnypenny

I feel what you are feeling! I am a new dog owner as well. I'm on the other side of "the pond," but definitely with you in the struggle :)
Ah, thanks! How long have you had your dog? I am a lot more relaxed now. The first week was so unexpectedly hard, I was completely overwhelmed! Daisy is becoming much more settled, which has made me less anxious! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts