Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started taking my dog, Foxy, to my dad's during the day. He has vascular dementia and having the dog around seems to help keep him distracted and make him happy. My grandmother, who still has her wits about her, is there too. Foxy has suddenly started having what I can only describe as panic attacks when we get home (hiding, shaking, panting). The first time it happened, she seemed to want to get in the car, so we went back to my Dad's. She was calm and happy the whole time we were at my dad's (it is only two miles away), but the second we got home she started panting and shaking again. Do you think she is worried about him?:huddle:

A little history: We've had Foxy for about 5 years, rescued her from the shelter. She has been afraid of being left and thus never wanders to far from me, but has never displayed any of the behavioral issue associated with separation anxiety. The only time I can think of that she got really scared (anxiety) was when the boys were running around with toy guns and pretending to attack each other. I almost took her to the emergency vet because I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first! She is terrified of guns (and anything gun shaped), real guns, toy guns, bb guns, nerf guns (she ate all our darts), etc.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I recently started taking my dog, Foxy, to my dad's during the day. He has vascular dementia and having the dog around seems to help keep him distracted and make him happy. My grandmother, who still has her wits about her, is there too. Foxy has suddenly started having what I can only describe as panic attacks when we get home (hiding, shaking, panting). The first time it happened, she seemed to want to get in the car, so we went back to my Dad's. She was calm and happy the whole time we were at my dad's (it is only two miles away), but the second we got home she started panting and shaking again. Do you think she is worried about him?:huddle:

A little history: We've had Foxy for about 5 years, rescued her from the shelter. She has been afraid of being left and thus never wanders to far from me, but has never displayed any of the behavioral issue associated with separation anxiety. The only time I can think of that she got really scared (anxiety) was when the boys were running around with toy guns and pretending to attack each other. I almost took her to the emergency vet because I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first! She is terrified of guns (and anything gun shaped), real guns, toy guns, bb guns, nerf guns (she ate all our darts), etc.
Has anything else changed? My initial reaction is now that she is spending more time at your dad's house, she might be thinking that that is her home now. It's not out of the question that she is having physiological reactions out of empathy for your dad though, dog's have an amazing ability to empathize with their owners!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cousin moved in about 4 weeks ago, but considering the typical flow of people through the house (I have 3 sons) I don't think that would have been an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.