Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old beagle mix, hes been in a couple different homes through out his life so I don't know a lot about his history but he's been in my life for a year and his current owner (my close friend) has decided to give him to me because of his animal aggression...

Hell play with our rats (its the cutest thing) but as soon as our friends dog or cat walks in the room he's growling, if another animal goes near his food he growls... I have a cat at my house he sometimes gets along with, on his own terms, he actually plays with the cat, other times he growls at him... but he's defiantly less on edge at our house as compared to our friends house (1 cat and 2 larger dogs) where he's in a kennel half the day while the other dogs are out. He's out all day at our house.

other than that he loves everyone, don't matter who you are.

Any Ideas how to combat this problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn’t correct the growling just because it’s a warning sign and you don’t want to teach him to not warn you or others and just bite. I would try and find the exact source of what causes him to growl whether it’s if another animal gets within a certain distance of something he considers his, a lack of confidence, or if it’s certain animals. Then work on desensitizing him to whatever causes his reactivity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts