Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 pound rat terrier. He is 4 years old. I adopted him when he was 1 year old. He has extreme anxiety issues and is very skiddish around new surroundings. He is very upset when I put him in the crate for a car ride and it took him a long time to be calm around me and to trust me. He has made great strides in 3 years. I have a problem now because I cannot walk him in my own neighborhood and need to take a 5 minute car ride to another neighborhood just to walk him. The reason is because I have a neighbor who has his large dog out front with him when he is in the garage doing things. This dog comes running from down the street right for my dog and they always get into a tangle. He has never been relaxed on his walk, I have been working with him but still no improvement. The question I have is does anyone else have a dog with anxiety problems only on the walk. I have him on Zuke's calming supplements, but I have seen no improvement. The last couple of times I have taken him out he was choking and dry heaving from the excitement and anxiety. Does anyone have any tips? Does anyone have any anxity supplements that have worked for your dog? Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, I had a dog like this for 15 years (he passed away this summer RIP). He was a Cairn mix, so similar size and also a terrier. He had anxiety and fear reactivity.

I used a Gentle Leader with him for walks and it worked great. We were never able to "graduate" out of using it but that's ok. I was very direct with everyone not to approach us on our walks. People were always very respectful and everyone in our neighborhood used leashes so it wasn't an issue.

If he is getting too worked up, I would make sure you are using a harness over a collar (which you may already be doing) Or maybe the Gentle Leader will help. For my dog, it helped me walk him on a loose lead and it calmed his anxiety a bit.

One thing I sort of regret is that I never asked the vet about anti-anxiety meds for him. We got into a groove with management techniques but looking back I wish I would have

Kudos to you for driving 5 minutes away if necessary to get away from that loose dog. Sometimes with a fearful anxious dog you need to also use management techniques like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. Luke wears Ruffwear Web Master Harness. This is one harness that he cannot get out of. The most recent time the dog in my neighborhood came running toward Luke he wiggled out of his original harness. It took me 15 minutes to try and get him back in my backyard. Ruffwear is a great harness though and that is what he wears now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.